Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 18-07-2007 , 05:59 AM

hopefully a quick and simple lattice problem

hey i am just learning maya because i have a course i am using it in. one of the assignments i need to use the lattice deformer to make a cylinder form to the shape of a plane blueprint.

i have created the cylinder and put the lattic around it, but when i go to move the lattice points, only the end points deform the cylinder, the rest doesn't deform it at all. i remember other people in my class had this problem, but i wasn't paying attention, so i was hoping someone could help me with the problem?

the basic steps i take are;
create the cylinder
rotate x 90 degrees
resize it for the body of the plane
i then select the cylinder and create the lattice
then i choose lattice points with only the lattice selected
move the lattice point, and the cylinder doesn't deform.

if needed i will attach screenshots, just hoping that someone could point out what i am doing wrong.

addition; just a note incase it matters, i am using polygons

Last edited by malkora; 18-07-2007 at 06:01 AM.
# 2 18-07-2007 , 12:40 PM
I´m not very fond of line modeling myself but it´s an intressting question, as long as it is an polygon now you should be able to deform it by moving the vertixes.

A picture might give us more insight. user added image

# 3 20-07-2007 , 09:56 AM
you have to increase the divisions of your lattice. in the channelBox look under SHAPES of your ffd1LatticeShape. there you can change the S, T and U divisions.

to deform a plane into a shape of a cylinder I´d rather use one of the non-linear deformers like Bend. you have to place the deformer (rotation/translation) to get the desired effect.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 4 20-07-2007 , 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Falott
you have to increase the divisions of your lattice. in the channelBox look under SHAPES of your ffd1LatticeShape. there you can change the S, T and U divisions.

to deform a plane into a shape of a cylinder I�d rather use one of the non-linear deformers like Bend. you have to place the deformer (rotation/translation) to get the desired effect.

i was able to figure it out, and it was similiar to what you suggested. instaed of adding divisions to the lattice i had to add divisions to the cylinder.

of course after it makes sense, can't deform where there are no vertices