Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 01-02-2012 , 10:39 AM

Copy and paste surface settings.

I fixed up some geometry on an object that already had a surface assigned to it.

I deleted some polygons and then did a bridge operation to fill the missing section. However the new geometry hasn't inherited the surface from the surrounding mesh.

I want to be able to copy and paste the original surface onto this newly created geometry, so that
the complete mesh is all the same surface assignment.

How is that done (sorry, I haven't really looked into surfacing at all as I've been concentrating on
modeling)?

# 2 01-02-2012 , 11:07 AM
Lifetime Member
not sure what you mean when you say surface assignment but if you mean the texture does not go onto the newly created faces ..then you have to re UV map the surface to include the new faces.
If you are talking about your imported car from Lightwave then you need to learn about UV mapping.
In order to texture a Polygon object in Maya ,first you have to do a projection map of the UV's and lay them out flat in the 0-1 texture space of the UV Texture Editor.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 01-02-2012 at 11:14 AM.
# 3 01-02-2012 , 11:18 AM
Lifetime Member
jsprogg is right....though I just deleted a face and bridged and it used the same texture as the rest of the mesh?

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 01-02-2012 , 11:31 AM
I'm not sure I need to UV this as it's just going to be a surface setting with no specific texture or markings.

Here's the actual object (wiper blade), you can see the middle section is like a default surface setting and the two ends have another type of surface.

user added image

I should mentions that when the OBJ was imported, it also brought in all it's surface names, which seem to be correctly assigned to the different mesh geometry of the model. I was hoping I could just load the existing surface that is on the two ends of the wiper blade and paste/assign it to the middle section.

UV is a big subject and I'd rather tackle that when I'm more comfortable with some modeling basics. I must say that I'm enjoying the whole Maya learning thing, and I was quite dreading it before I started.

# 5 01-02-2012 , 11:53 AM
Lifetime Member
just select the object...in the attribute editor it will or should tell you its assigned texture...looks like a blinn...then RMB over the object...assign existing material then click on the one you think it is...or just assign a new lambert. It wont matter for now...materials dont mean anything whilst you model

cheers bullet.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 01-02-2012 , 01:20 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Essentially you are breaking the uvs so you will need to re-uv the newly generated geo and then stitch the uv shells together (new to old)

Jay

# 7 01-02-2012 , 02:22 PM
You mean all meshes need UV's no matter what?

# 8 01-02-2012 , 05:29 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
If you want to put on your texture and for it to look right....yes!

J

# 9 01-02-2012 , 05:50 PM
EduSciVis-er
No, if it's just getting a material without a texture, then you don't have to UV.
You're using the word surface, which I think in maya you mean material. A texture can be procedural or a file texture applied to the material, in the latter case you need to UV map the mesh as Jay says.
If you open the hypershade, you will see all the materials in your scene, and you should be able to apply the end material to the whole object.

Edit: All meshes have UVs by default, but the default ones on anything more complex than a primitive are garbage, which is why you have to UV map it yourself.

# 10 01-02-2012 , 09:11 PM
Lifetime Member
I dont think he is texturing??? I think it is just the face he has altered hasnt come up with the shader assigned to it...it has happened to me occasionally...on imported objects. As stwert said you dont have to UV....its just not recognising its assigned material. I wouldnt worry about it if you are just modelling or fixing the model up. However ONCE you have finished modelling..as Jay said, you will then have to UV map the car...every bit...so when you do assign textures/materials to it they will be properly arranged.

If you have the dough, grab one of Jays or Kurts tuts, the UV mapping process is spelt out very well and it isnt hard, just a lot of work. You dont need the whole tut if you cant afford it, just the texturing parts.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968