Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-03-2005 , 06:15 AM

Particle Incand Mapper node?

anyone know where to find the Particle Incand Mapper node? I looked in particle utilities but only found the particle sampler.

I'm looking for additional control over the Incandescent qualities of my s/w particles using the particleShape node Incand attributes (in addition to those in the material node).

On a separate issue: how do I control the Incandescent qualities of my hardware particles? After adding the per-obj Incandescent attribute, it appears at the bottom in the Extra Attributes section. But it’s ‘dead’ - how do i control it's value?

thanks
Lori

# 2 01-03-2005 , 07:40 PM
DARN YOU AND YOUR GOOD QUESTIONS LORI!! hehe...

Anyhoo, the first question I gotta ask you is what version of Maya are you using currently?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 02-03-2005 , 01:19 AM
no answers to all my questions though... boo hoo... looks like i'll just have to keep my face in those books... user added image
will post back here if i ever find anything

am using maya 5 (I know I'm slo-ow...)

# 4 02-03-2005 , 04:39 PM
Bummer, it looks like it no longer exists, but after some searching I found the info below:

In versions of Maya PRE v3, the Particle Incand Mapper was a utility node used for certain cases when you would render particles using Software Rendering.

It has been deprecieated in v3 and higher, and replaced with the Particle Sampler Info node.

The Particle Sampler Info node provides all the functionality of the particle color mapper, transparency mapper, incandescence mapper, and age mapper, which were available in versions of Maya prior to 3.0.

Using the Particle Sampler Info node:
The Particle Sampler Info node provides particle shape attributes to either a particle shader, texture, or texture placement node for use in software rendering.

When you use a Particle Sampler Info node, you connect one or more of its outputs to attributes of a particle shader or texture placement node. This tells the shader to get the per-particle information from the Particle Sampler Info node. It also tells the Particle Sampler Info node which attributes to get from the particle shape.

Sorry to be thbearer of bad news, but maybe the PSI node can help you better on this one.

Good luck Loriuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 5 03-03-2005 , 12:23 AM
thanks for all that time ragecgi!

ya i did try it with the PS node before but somehow couldn't get it to work, so I thot it must come from a different node like the PIM. Makes sense that everything is rolled into 1 now tho. Will go try my luck again. maybe it was something i overlooked...

thanks again!

Lori

# 6 03-03-2005 , 03:19 AM
If I knew better how to use it effectivley, I'd try to help more, but I might break somethinguser added image hehe..

No problem lori, sorry took so long.

Good luck!!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 7 04-03-2005 , 12:16 AM
(hhmm i think i just lost my post... posting it again...)

tried it again and it works! thanks!!

i created a ppIncand att for the particle shape and assigned a ramp to it, then created a PSI node and connected its Out Incand att to the Incand att of the particle shader

cheers
user added image

# 8 04-03-2005 , 03:28 AM
ROCK ON!!! Good job!!!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 9 27-03-2006 , 08:03 AM
sorry for diging out such an old topic ;] just wanted to say that actualy particleTranspMapper, particleIncandMapper, particleAgeMapper nodes are still there and documented in help, you just have to create them manualy
(ex. "createNode particleIncandMapper") user added image

Oh and have my own question to ask, is there any way to use particleSamplerInfo node with mental ray?