Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 08-08-2005 , 09:24 PM

How to Batch Render using as much processor as possible

I did a batch render of my animation, and when I looked in the task manager it always says that about 50% of my computer's processor is being used for the batch render. No other programs are being run, not even Maya. There was about 48% Idle. Also, not all of the RAM was being used, quite a small portion of it actually. I believe that RAM does not help rendering times as much as the processor though.

>>Does anyone know how I can increase the amount of processor percentage dedicated to batch rendering, as I would like to have the rendering complete faster and I would not use the computer at all while it is doing so. Please help.

Thanks,

Joe

# 2 08-08-2005 , 10:23 PM
getting a btter computer?

# 3 08-08-2005 , 10:38 PM
The computer has a 3 GHz Xeon processor. It is a Dell workstation with 1 GB of RAM.

I want to know if there is a way to use as much of the processor as possible while batch rendering, not 50% (which is what is being shown in Task Manager).

# 4 09-08-2005 , 12:53 AM
Subscriber
Well, if your using windows.

1.Press control+alt+delete.

2.Find the "PROCESS OF MAYA BATCH RENDER"(it should show a fast processor amount, 50% in you case)

3.Right click on the "MAYA BATCH RENDER" process and go down to set priority. Then choose either high or realtime. Be careful though, this hogs ALOT of RAM, and can slow down windows so much that it takes around ten seconds to just move you mouse an inch. Ughh.

Hope it all works.

PS. Make sure you choose the batch render process not just the maya process.

# 5 09-08-2005 , 01:22 AM
Are you sure that method actually speeds up rendering times??

I have read about doing that before, but I have never tried setting it that high, because someone said that it does not actually produce faster rendering times. Thanks for the info, though, I'm just wondering if there are any tests or proof.

Joe

# 6 09-08-2005 , 05:21 AM
Subscriber
It definently helps on my machine. Maybe also try to run some spyware detector stuff on yours. That can also hog RAM. But I strongly recomend trying to change the priority of the batch render make sure you choose the batch render though. NOT MAYA.

# 7 10-08-2005 , 12:56 AM

It seems to work

I have tried increasing the priority of batch render in the Task Manager, and it seemed to speed up the render. I set the priority to HIGH on one render, and now I'm trying it on REAL TIME. The CPU seemed to hit close to 90-something %, but did not maintain it always, but its definitely a bit faster. Hopefully real time will not kill the computer...

Thank you for the replies.:attn:

# 8 10-08-2005 , 04:27 AM
Subscriber

about priorities...

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 9 10-08-2005 , 04:39 AM

Link

Thank you for the link, the info is very helpful, especially since I am new to PCs.

# 10 10-08-2005 , 04:36 PM
Subscriber

Re: Link

Originally posted by joed8349
Thank you for the link, the info is very helpful, especially since I am new to PCs.

Just came over from the 'dark side' huh? (apple, ughh)