Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-05-2009 , 03:38 AM

Drawing to 3D rendering?

A friend told me that it's possible to scan a drawing/sketch into Maya and automatically render it in 3D.

Would that be possible? or would you have to start making the model from scratch and just use the drawings as a guide?

Is there any way to make the process any easier? I'd be wanting to scan in architectural drawings of a pillar which I'd find it hard to make from scratch, so I'm wondering if it's possible to automate the process at all.

Thanks for your help.

# 2 22-05-2009 , 04:57 AM
The Nurb Herd
Thankfully no. There is no "make it" button.

If there were, we would all be out of jobs and hobbies.

# 3 22-05-2009 , 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by hammer.horror
Thankfully no. There is no "make it" button.

If there were, we would all be out of jobs and hobbies.

Lol yeah pretty much. Kesava23, you're going to have to hunker down and learn how to use the modeling toolset.

- Genny
# 4 22-05-2009 , 07:37 AM
I am trying to figure out how that would work.

Scan it 'into Maya' would not be a problem, as it would be a texture, but 'make it 3d', what exactly do you mean?

Like, converting a 2d (flat) picture into a 3D Model? How would it work with depth, differences and, well, everything.

There is, actually, to poke both Mrs Genevieve and Mr Horror in the ribs, a couple of programs that can do some amazing things with dublication and such, but that demands some sort of basis. Also these programs are very hard to get ahold of for some reason, there was one, I know, that was truly amazing but I cant remember how it functioned.

Anyway, what this person told you, is certainly not what you think, or he may have been confused. Maybe he just meant you can scan your image and use it as a texture on a plane or somesuch, and possible model your things from there.

# 5 22-05-2009 , 10:21 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
You could render it but only as it stands - a 2d image.

Unless of course your friend means you can scan an image and get it into maya then build it as a 3d model

but yeah...theres no 'make model of' button just yet

J

# 6 22-05-2009 , 12:57 PM
Ok well anyway. I know how to do modeling in 3ds Max. Is it much different in Maya?

If I was using max I'd make the main part of the piller using the lathe function.

Anyway never mind. He just seemed to think it was possible.

# 7 22-05-2009 , 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Kesava23
Ok well anyway. I know how to do modeling in 3ds Max. Is it much different in Maya?

If I was using max I'd make the main part of the piller using the lathe function.

Anyway never mind. He just seemed to think it was possible.

Yes, one main difference is that 3D Studio Max is a oneline joke. Its for amateurs and homemakers, not a professional 3d pogrammer.

You will me amazed of what yu can do and how easy you can do it in Maya.

# 8 22-05-2009 , 06:18 PM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by lillsnopp
Yes, one main difference is that 3D Studio Max is a oneline joke. Its for amateurs and homemakers, not a professional 3d pogrammer.

You will me amazed of what yu can do and how easy you can do it in Maya.

this i nonsense! I'm sure many game and visualization companies will disagree with you.

as for scanning and having a 3d model - cyslice.

# 9 23-05-2009 , 01:42 AM
How similar is Maya to 3ds Max?

I mean is creating 3d models similar? Are you tools sort of the same?

# 10 23-05-2009 , 02:26 AM
While lillsnop is drastically wrong and mislead, I would say that Maya has a much more no-nonsense style set-up. it is what it is. no converting to editable mesh or whatever. no teapot primitives,
It will take some effort on your part, but it is worth it.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 11 23-05-2009 , 03:31 AM
Super Moderator
Its a matter of preference I think, I gave Max a fair shake and didn't take to it, there's a Max to Maya transition table on the Autodesk site to help you get familiar with the terms.

Clickitty click the linky

- Genny
# 12 23-05-2009 , 09:51 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LOL here we go again, Maya vs Max....

neither is better than the other, both are just toolsets and its how well those tools are used by the artist to achieve aa good result.

J

# 13 23-05-2009 , 09:57 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
It's totally different than Maya, although with the new graphite modeling tools it's getting closer to Maya.

Maya is somewhat like claying and you can compare Max in this aspect to building with LEGO blocks.
And lilsnopp i have seen people make the most beautiful stuff in 3DS Max, stuff i couldn't make in my wildest dreams(yet), go have a look over at CG Talk and look at the 3d choice gallery or the 3d stills gallery you'll know what i am talking about then.
And have you ever read 3D World?

The only thing that i strongly dislike about Max is that it becomes more and more a new feature machine and most of your shading and rendering stuff are presets and is to strongly linked to a Mental Ray workflow.
Is see this behavior coming up in Maya aswell, i have been using Maya from Maya 6.5 until now and the only thing i see is that they are cramming in new features and mess up the interface, Interface and operability wise i think Maya 7 was the best i could work a lot faster than i do now.
If you care to read here is a link to the area
https://area.autodesk.com/index.php/f...wthread/25789/

I would also strongly recommend opening new or responding to threads there with your wishes, maybe there's actually someone from Autodesk who is reading the fora.

And Kesava there is a package called Imagemodeler which can make a 3d model out of pictures, but you need more pictures than one;

https://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...12&id=11390028

you can also try out 3dsom pro
https://www.3dsom.com/

good luck

# 14 23-05-2009 , 03:30 PM

Originally posted by mastone
And Kesava there is a package called Imagemodeler which can make a 3d model out of pictures, but you need more pictures than one;

https://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...12&id=11390028

That looks like a pretty good program, the guy who wants me to do the modeling is an architect and can draw as many images as necessary to be able to get a decent model, however what sort of different images would I need? Would I basically need ones from every angle and it makes a 3d model based on that? Because if I'm doing a pillar then the pattern is pretty repeditive so that wouldn't be too hard.

# 15 23-05-2009 , 03:59 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
yeah something like that
I believe the program takes reference points from images and makes a model based on those reference points, i don't know the specifics exactly.