Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-08-2009 , 10:57 PM
Ironegg

simple questions?

How come when i duplicated part of my object and then deleted some of it, then put it in object mode, my main cursor, you know like whenever i selected move tool or something, remained in the centre. Instead of centering around the remainder of the that object that i DIDNT delet, it was still positioned around like elsewhere( as if the rest of the object wasnt deleted)

K well that sounds confusing. Uhh, so i duplicated a leg, and the deleted part of it so i just have the toe you know. And then when i put it in object mode so i could manipulate in uniform with the scale tool, my cursor was still like up top as if the leg was still there and not the toe. Like i know it will work if i select the faces- then the cursor will be there, but i kinda want to know why its doing this. It doesnt normally do this. So am i just crazy, or is this just like a small preferences problem?

Also, what does it mean when you use the Union tool on two objects and nothing happens. Both of my objects are selected but refuse to Unionize.

3. And lastly, sorry, whats the difference between union and combine tool?

Thank you so much to anyone and everyone who takes the time to bother with my questions. THANK YOU!!user added image user added image

Last edited by nick@koeppen.net; 04-08-2009 at 11:46 PM.
# 2 05-08-2009 , 12:00 AM
Hi Nick, can't really help you with the second and third questions, but with the first have used the centre pivot option, the cursor would have been in the centre of the object when it was whole, but once you've deleted some of the faces it will remain there until you re-centre the pivot to the new geometry.

The option is in the modify menu set, Centre pivot. Hope that is the answer to that question!

# 3 05-08-2009 , 12:55 AM
Ironegg
Ahhh, genius- simply genius thank you very much. Always very helpful. I dont know who i would go to if you guys werent here.

# 4 05-08-2009 , 01:08 AM
# 5 05-08-2009 , 01:25 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
The Union tool is a Booleans operation. It takes two objects (that are overlapping) and deletes any faces that aren't visible, or required to form the overall shape.

The combine tool take 2 or more objects and, well, combines them, but doesn't delete any geometry. And so these objects can be separated at a later point if the need be.

The reason the Union tool might not be working is maybe you don't have the objects overlapping? If not, maya's Booleans operations are known to have issues.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 6 05-08-2009 , 02:05 AM
Ironegg
Ah thank you for clearing that up Mayaniac. I appreciate that.

Yeah i can relate to those issues. This is the second time I've tried the Union tool. The first time seemed to work after just trying over and over again. HAha, but now i cant seem to pull it off twice!
Im in polygons and im aware that there is a union tool under two differnt settings, for me its polygons and surfaces. I dont know if that means anything, but i do know that when i try the union tool under polygons: Mesh - Booleans - union my entire model disappears. And then when im under surfaces: Edit Nurbs - Boolean- Union, absolutely nothing happens.

Kurt doesnt seem to have any difficulty though. Hahah!
Well again thank you so much, i like to know what im doing; ill see what magic i can work with the Booleans.

# 7 05-08-2009 , 02:12 AM
Ironegg
Wow, i was so excited that when I pulled up simply maya i held the option button down to scroll. HAHa, well anyway I did HAHA, yeah finally got union tool to work again and still i have no idea what i did differently. Oh well, the mystery of maya i suppose. Thanks guys for the help, it really means a lot to. :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: