Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 28-02-2003 , 10:42 AM
Subscriber

texture tilling

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how can I escape from those lines, when I texture a bigger object or I want to repeat the UV's...?
You know, when I'm increasing the numbers from repeat UV, in attribute editor (for material), on the object surface appears some thin lines (because o texture tilling)
Please tell me how I can rid of those lines

Thanks.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" A.Einstein
# 2 10-03-2003 , 11:53 AM
Subscriber
Helooo... there is nobody there who can answer to my question??? user added image
Please help...!!!

# 3 10-03-2003 , 12:20 PM
Are we talking about a file texture (an image) here?

If yes, then there is no other way than paint it seamless. Photoshop's offset filter and clone tool are handy on this. You also want the image to be evenly lit (in other words even brightness/contrast). And of course no obvious repeating patterns. I'll post some examples later when I get home.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 4 10-03-2003 , 12:38 PM
Subscriber
Yes we talk about the file texturing.
I'm hardly wait the examples...
Thanks, KB.

# 5 10-03-2003 , 04:35 PM
Well. I didn't have any "WIPs" saved of my already finished textures so I made one quickly. Forgive me the size of the images but I had to concider the 56k'ers too.

Anyway, here's what I started with:

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 6 10-03-2003 , 04:39 PM
You can obviously tell that this isn't going to tile without some enhancements user added image

First I cropped the image removing the white "stripe" from the top. Then I used the offset filter (with wrap around) to see how it's going to tile. So here is the cropped and offset image:

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Last edited by kbrown; 10-03-2003 at 04:55 PM.
# 7 10-03-2003 , 04:49 PM
Better but there's still two problems left to deal with. The seams and the brightness/contrast imbalance. I dealt with the latter issue with high pass filter. This has to be done before offsetting.

With high pass filter you want to set the radius just above the biggest detail you want to preserve. Kind of hard to explain but by experimenting you'll get it right. After the filter you will end up with a greyish image. To compensate you use the fade high pass feature with luminosity mode. You may need to bump up the contrast as well. Here's the result I got (I offsetted it again so you can see the difference better).

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 8 10-03-2003 , 04:52 PM
Finally I got rid of the seams by simply painting over them with the clone tool. I also sharpened the image a bit just to bring up the detail. Here's the final texture:

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 9 10-03-2003 , 05:19 PM
Here's a render test. The (full size) texture is tiled 3 times both U and V on a nurbs plane. I used the same map for bump map as well. (There is still a barely noticeable repeating pattern there but for a quick test I think it's ok user added image)

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Last edited by kbrown; 10-03-2003 at 05:25 PM.
# 10 11-03-2003 , 05:50 AM
Subscriber
Wow, cool... user added image
It's ... so ... simple, and i dont thought about this method.
I tried to make those changes in Maya with painting tool, but when you have a tilled image by let's say 20x20, i think that you get beard till you finish it.
This tut. helped me a lot.

Kari, thanks a lot.
user added image
You saved me!!!