SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / joint orientation question??

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

21-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
vincentccw

joint orientation question??
i have try to rig a character following a tutorial, but what i dont understand is, the tutorial mention about the joint orientaion, but i dont understand how to judge whether my joint is in the right or not....pls help,.
21-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
vincentccw

and also when u move the joint why must you click insert only to move , cant u just move it normally?
22-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Chirone
Subscriber

you tell if the joint orientation is good by seeing where the red line points.
if it points down the joint then it's good
it means that it will rotate as you expect
obviously if the joint is a leaf node (has no children (has no joints coming off it)) then the joint orientation doesn't matter because it doesn't affect the position of the other joints
i've attached a picture of a selected joint chain so you can see which red line i'm talking about

as for moving by using insert... have you tried moving it normally?
if you move a joint normally you move all it's children as well (all the joints attached to it)
if you move it by hitting insert you just move the joint itself. it's the same as hitting insert on an object to move the pivot point, you're doing the same thing, moving the pivot point of the heirarchy of joints
so basically you do it when you want to move the joint itself and not the children underneath it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jointorient.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	43830  

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
24-02-2010, 01:21 AM   #4
vincentccw

i have attach a file, can u check if it is correctly oriented, for my leg joints. if its wrong how can u orient it in a proper way? thanks in advance....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	43840