Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-10-2004 , 08:38 PM

another assignment i need help with

Ok now my professor wants me to make a simulation of plant life utilizing maya 6s hair system...i have no clue how to do this at all. any help would be appreciated.

# 2 09-10-2004 , 09:08 AM
isnt he supposed to teach you how its done first? or explain to you some ways to go about doing it? i dunno.. telling you what you have to do with no instruction on how its done, doesnt sound very education like.. i could that myself for free sitting here and giving myself certain goals on what i want to do...

sorry that was just my rant.. i dont know how this is done either.. so you can expect i'll be watching this threaduser added image

AIM: Psuedo Realizm
# 3 09-10-2004 , 11:55 AM
Yeah well it's kind of a new thing to everyone i guess.

# 4 09-10-2004 , 12:10 PM
check it, you could do like an Anenomie like in Finding Nemo, it's kinda plant life, or some kind of underwater weeds just sorta bobbing backwards and forwards with simulated water?

Last edited by Zyk0tiK; 09-10-2004 at 12:12 PM.
# 5 09-10-2004 , 12:23 PM
Subscriber
They show you how they did that on the DVD aswell. user added image

# 6 09-10-2004 , 06:27 PM
Unfortuneately it isn't an underwater life. It needs to be more like moss/vines

# 7 11-10-2004 , 04:33 AM
now i think about it... I remember reading somewhere that grass can be done with hair... realistic grass stylee... you could have some kinda creature running through the grass that like, when he moves through the grass it flows around him and stuff... would be also cool user added image

# 8 12-10-2004 , 06:58 AM
it'd be cool yeah, but the question is how

# 9 12-10-2004 , 08:30 AM
well the hair system is dynamics and so you can use fields to move the grass and stuff with drag fields and turbulence etc. It should be pretty easy.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 10 12-10-2004 , 08:44 AM
I've tried just making a hair system and adding fields to it but thye didn't do anything. I also don't know how i'd instance something on the hair system. Like i know how to paint hair on an object and how to just make hair but i don't know how i'd make grass be a hair system, or a vine be a hair system.

# 11 12-10-2004 , 10:45 AM
well you'd attach the hair to a plane and then make it short (actually thinking about it, does it have to be hair? or can it be fur? fur would be more suited to this!) either way, make the hair/fur nice and short and then adjust the amount of it so that you get a good coverage. Then from there you need to select the hair/fur and add dynamic fields to it (parented to moving objects if you want them to move around and disturb the grass etc.)

I can't really explain it further without making a sample file (dont have time at the moment) but look in the manual for the stuff about hair and using fields.

Alan

IMDB
# 12 12-10-2004 , 11:05 AM
Framestore, cool user added image

If you see one of your new runners about called Karl, make sure you work him to the bone, or comment on how crap he is at darts!! He'll like that user added image

"1.21 GIGAWATTS"
# 13 12-10-2004 , 11:28 AM
I think that i sow that kind of tutorial at ****** site!!! Try there but also try with google search.

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

Sorry for bad English, See ya
dead mosquito-blog-on english too
# 14 12-10-2004 , 01:03 PM
I'll look out for karl user added image

IMDB
# 15 13-10-2004 , 07:56 AM
See at mtmckinley site!!

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

Sorry for bad English, See ya
dead mosquito-blog-on english too