Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 06-11-2008 , 08:02 AM

Laid-off:( ....and a request for the community.

Well, it was bound to happen.

After 5 long years as the Design Manager/Senior Designer at my job, I got laid-off on Mondayuser added image

Our stock took a major hit, like most tech stocks did, however our company felt that in order to stay somewhat alive, they felt it was time to release those of us that were paid well.

...so that meant myself, and 4 of my junior animators.
Leaving 3 juniors to be run by some errant project manager who knows nothing about what we did/do, or how to achieve a quality spot.

Oh well, not my problem anymoreuser added image

A shame really, but as I have been laid-off many times before, I was prepared and I got away with all of my spots backed up on a portable drive arrayuser added image

...sadly 2 of my juniors didn't have such good luck, and are now getting screwed out of their hard work.

So, the same day I got laid off, I filed for unemployment, I got my most recent Motion Design reel cut, transcoded, and uploaded to my site, and using the new Adobe "Buzzword" I was able to package-up my cover letter and update my resume.

It's interesting how motivated you are when you know you have nothing to lose, hehe...

** Now I can concentrate on producing my Effects reel.

Which brings me to my request from our kind community:

NOTE: Please do not confuse this as pandering or spam for personal monetary gain, you guys know me better than thatuser added image
It's just a kind personal request from one artist to another...just on a larger scale, hehe.

If ANYONE has ANY Ntsc or Pal D1/SD or even HD footage they shot themselves, or has the rights to use, AND you are willing to allow me to use part(s) of it, and to be credited as such in my Effects reel breakdown, I would LOVE to talk to you about getting a clip of it as I have no cam equipment to shoot with myself.

...just askinguser added image

If you feel up to it, and you have a camera, feel free to shoot something interesting, be it a simple locked-off establishing shot of the side of a building or a freeway, or a cornfield.. I don't careuser added image
Heck move the camera and shoot complete strangers, or the storefronts in a shopping mall, whatever, maybe I could use it.

Anyhoo, if you can or would like to help, please email me or PM me your email information so I can get in touch with you and we'll go from there.

I'll still be here at Sm, but more in "lurking-mode" till my next job comes along and/or I get my effects reel done and out to dvd.

Thanks again all, and I hope to be employed again soon as I had some REALLY great tutorial ideas...

Until then.... take care.

Izzy
Motion Design: www.ragecg.com
Effects/Post: www.doitinpost.com

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 2 06-11-2008 , 08:19 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
Im sorry to hear that...
:hug:

Last edited by elephantinc; 06-11-2008 at 11:21 AM.
# 3 06-11-2008 , 08:34 AM
Acid44
shit, that sucks bro, i'll se if i can get some footage for ya with my sister's cam user added image

# 4 06-11-2008 , 08:45 AM
Ouch, sorry to hear that dude.

I might be able to help you out if we get our equipment sorted, have to have a look into it to see if its available to use (hi def footage)

Elephantinc - I dont think thats a question to ask in the circumstance, and I doubt Rage would comment on it as its a bit personal, might be wrong though.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 06-11-2008 , 09:30 AM
Subscriber
I am also very sorry to hear about being Laid off. I do have a nice Digital Camera and would try and help out with any photographs you may need. Just would like to help in some way. Wish you luck in all things that come up!!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 6 06-11-2008 , 10:07 AM
I have a local friend who does alot of small scale film work, i was going to get him to shoot me some stuff when he next has a chance for precisely the same reasons. If you want anything specific i can see what he has or what kind of stuff he has comming up ... and the rights wouldnt be a problem.

Hope it all goes well, feel free to email me.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 7 06-11-2008 , 10:36 AM
The Nurb Herd
Sorry to hear about that, Were you working in the UK or the US? i was just curious to know whether similar things were happening on both sides of the pond?

My flatmate does some filming, he is a video editor so i can see if he has any stock stuff.

# 8 06-11-2008 , 11:25 AM
The Maya Mountain
sorry to hear that, Rage. My company is also getting rocked a bit, but it's unknown yet if any layoffs are going to happen. I hope everything works out for us all! Good luck!

# 9 06-11-2008 , 12:00 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Rage

sorry to hear that mate, I hope you find something soon.

I got laid off a year ago with 150 others and have been freelancing here and there which is great when you can get the work but once its finished you're hanging by a thread until the next job surfaces - it just sucks arse man. I need something a bit more permanent as I have a huge mortgage, and an extra mouth to feed, so Im really scraping by right now. Ive been turned down by so many companies too, dunno if its age or Im just crap generally.
Hopefully things will pick up, and these turds that call themselves 'world leaders' get the economy back on track and bankmanagers stop giving themselves 25-50% payrises while the rest of us suffer!!

jeez Im depressing:headbang:

later
Jay

# 10 06-11-2008 , 01:54 PM
Thanks all for your kind words!

Yeah, I've been through this many times before, but the US job market sucks in Minnesota right now....just like everywhere I assume.

Thanks again to all who offered to help donate footage!
I'm not looking for anything in particular, anything reallyuser added image

Please feel free to PM or email me your contact info and I'll get you access to my ftp areauser added image

Also, a bit of an announcement for those of us on LinkedIn:
I just setup a Simplymaya group on LinkedIn so we can stay connected, help each other out, etc.

If you are interested, and you are on LinkedIn, just do a group search for: Simplymaya and I'll add you asapuser added image

Thanks again all!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 11 06-11-2008 , 02:33 PM
ooh, sorry to hear about that.
It's becoming a bit too common place as of late, with the US economy (for all intents and purposes) going into a fairly large depression. The truth is (sorry to bring a bit of politics into it, but it's a huge part of it) the central bank (federal reserve/bank) is causing alot of these problems, as they can print money whenever they want, despite not being a government organization. The bailout also lowered our dollar a fair amount. So, as more money is printed, this is only likely to get worse. A lot worse.

-Andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 12 06-11-2008 , 03:52 PM
Thanks Joop, I totaly agree.

Also, Thanks for the linkIn Mike!
...it looks like I'm not the only Art Dir. that is named Israel that you know, hehe...

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 13 06-11-2008 , 07:52 PM
Subscriber
Oo, i got told about linkedin once before

i just joined up now user added image
and i found out how to request being part of a group

if i can figure out how to get the video camera connected to the computer then i'll get some footage for you

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 14 07-11-2008 , 05:22 AM
Awesome Chirone thanks!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 15 07-11-2008 , 12:59 PM
Subscriber
Urg that sucks Rage, I really feal for you. And Jay you to man.

I`m in the same position.
Worked 6 months on a TV show, and i was lucky to work 2 months on another project. But currently Waiting for Episode 2 to start. And as i`m a freelancer they dont really care for my personal problems. So now hanging on a thin thread above a speed waterfall nearly catching my feet.

Waiting for the tv show to start again or something els comes along.

Well good luck to you and hope all is going well.