Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 03-02-2004 , 02:06 AM
Subscriber

JAN/FEB - Naruto - Noob

Ok I will be doing my best in this challenge is my first, and I really want to be considered, even if I dont win I want to be part of the challenge, wish me luck......

My Model will be one character from one of my scripts (ideas in my mind/stories) he is a CIBORG NINJA, I dont think is going to be a low poly character, primary weapons will be included and I will try to do one of his special moves... here are some wire frames and shaded progress.. with a month to go..I am excited since it will be my first real work that someone will actually see,..,.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-02-2004 , 02:09 AM
Subscriber
I consider myself a noob..I am new to maya.. I only Have4 months using it and I am still learning a lot...

Last edited by Naruto; 03-02-2004 at 03:23 AM.
# 3 03-02-2004 , 02:10 AM
Subscriber
ohh ok I just found out...thanks guys here is the wire frame full...

Attached Images

Last edited by Naruto; 03-02-2004 at 02:19 AM.
# 4 03-02-2004 , 02:18 AM
Subscriber
here are the halves...side by side..

Attached Images
# 5 03-02-2004 , 08:57 AM
I don't know until with stage u can manage Maya.....
But in my opinion your model has too many unnecessary faces.....
U can start to delete some of them....
In the end u will find more easier to manage......
In my case I took most of the time when I mold moving dot by dot........so less dot to move means less job to do......
anyway,your model for a first shape is good......quite big for a ninja......but keep working......I interesting in what kind of ninja u goin to create......

# 6 03-02-2004 , 01:17 PM
Subscriber
Stormgetto thanks for your comment, like I said, I dont think is going to be a low polygon model I usually end up using all those faces and vertices for the final details, that is just the way I usually start, I have different options later in the development to reduce my polygon count, pardon my noobsness.,

Its a Cyborg Ninja, its not related to any traditional Ninja, even the outfit is going to be unrelated, but rank wise its more like a chuunin...

there is an old saying that says "It is better to have too much than lacking a lot" or so is the translation...Thanks again/..

# 7 03-02-2004 , 02:59 PM
Looks like he's going to be a big ninja, should be interesting to see how he turns out.
I also think you've too many faces at this stage. It saves lots of time if you hold off adding detail until you need it.

# 8 03-02-2004 , 11:29 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the advice Guys, taking it from you I will review the entire design from the ground up and make sure that I am not doing something that I would regret later in the Textures and the Animation..thanks again CLOD

# 9 03-02-2004 , 11:43 PM
It is pretty large for a ninja. A ninja was actually one of my first ideas to do in the challenge before i made my robot.

I think you have too many faces aswell. But if thats how you do it. Go for it. Just keep in mind all of that when you have to animate and render him.

# 10 04-02-2004 , 01:24 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Twisted...I already started to reduce the size and the polygons in the model..Its looking more decent right now ...I will post a Picture soon

Last edited by Naruto; 07-02-2004 at 09:33 PM.
# 11 07-02-2004 , 09:32 PM
Subscriber
Here is some progress in the Cyborg Ninja...I have to report that I am behind the schedule in this model, probably I wont be posting any progress for the next 4 days ... Unlike many other modelers , I have the bad habit of working in everything at the same time...so I always do some animation test while I model...I usually try some texture while body parts are missing ..its a whole mess ...but lets see how it comes out..wish me luck..I decided to keep the poly count as before, for some reason I feel comfortable working like that....:bgreen:

# 12 07-02-2004 , 09:33 PM
Just get some screens up soon.

# 13 07-02-2004 , 09:36 PM
Subscriber
another shot...

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 07-02-2004 , 09:45 PM
looks a little blocky right now, whats the poly count at?