Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 136 26-05-2005 , 04:27 PM
Subscriber
The textures could definitely add to the size of the file. I think 51mb is pretty reasonable for what you got there. Nice modeling btw. The texture could use a some tlc to create a bit more realism (at least that's my opinion).

I may have missed this somewhere, but what are you going to do with all this stage world models/scenes?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 137 26-05-2005 , 04:39 PM
Hey guys.

Yeah i'm thinking its the texture to with are 1024 x 1024, but I need to redo the textures anyways, as they are mostly place holders, just so I know what the scene will look like in the final renderuser added image

mhcannon,

You think 51mb is pretty reasonable for the scene I have? Ok, well then thats good to hear, now I don't have to drive myself crazy trying to figure it out :bow:

tlc, whats that? I plan on redoing the textures anywaysuser added image

Well i'm mostly making this scene to improve my rendering lighting as well as modeling skills. So my goal for the scene at this point is to make a kick@ss scene, So I can create a kick@ss render using mental ray, which I just stated using about 3 months ago, and I love it!!

Vedic

Last edited by vedic kings; 26-05-2005 at 04:42 PM.
# 138 26-05-2005 , 09:27 PM
"when I go to file> Optimize scene size, and ckeck everything on the list to be Optimize,"

can u explain me what this does?never used it....

# 139 26-05-2005 , 10:12 PM
Well from what I understand about it, is that whatever you click on in the list of things to be Optimize, it removes all that is not needed etc. Its like a clean up.

Ok, I just looked in the help file (F1) and it says:

Allows you to remove empty, invalid, or unused parts from the scene to reduce its size and complexity.

# 140 27-05-2005 , 03:16 PM
thx a lot for that info...but your size is still 50mb?hmm ask other guys if thats approriate.

# 141 27-05-2005 , 05:10 PM
mhcannon thinks it approriate for the kind of scene I have setup. But yeah does anyone else think so?

# 142 28-05-2005 , 12:10 PM
Yep, I think so.

# 143 28-05-2005 , 06:21 PM
Ok, good problem solveuser added image

# 144 29-05-2005 , 04:44 AM
Hey guysuser added image

Well, I've been playing around with mental ray more. I was going to use tomcat cartoon shader for part of my scene, But I found that tomcat doesn't work with mental ray, and tomcat was not giving me what I really wanteduser added image Or I'm just not doing it right. Anyways I find out that mental ray can do a cartoon look to, more so give you objects an outline. So this was great I could use mr and get a toon lookuser added image

Anyway take a look at a render I did in mental ray.

Attached Thumbnails
# 145 29-05-2005 , 04:48 AM
here are two test I did. One tomcat and the other mental ray.

As you can see tomcat will have lines go through the objects that are in front, its a cool style, but its not what I want for my scene, but I could use it for other stuffuser added image

First tomcat:

Attached Thumbnails
# 146 29-05-2005 , 04:51 AM
So what do you guys think about this? What I really want to get, is a Cel (cel-shader) look. Do you think I can do it in mentay ray, or do you think I can do the same in tomcat?

mental ray

Attached Thumbnails
# 147 29-05-2005 , 01:47 PM
My opinion would be to keep it realistic

But, between the two, you should use Tomcat. By the way, could you post the MR settings for that look?

Cheers, user added image
,Matt user added image

# 148 29-05-2005 , 04:57 PM
MTM,

I'm going to use a mix of the two, which is a real and toon look. Well I'll post what I mean later today.

As far as the mental ray setup for this kind of look, which is an out line, would take way to long to post, but I learned of this because I was unable to render tomcat in mental ray, or i'm doing this all wrong? Can I render tomcat in mental ray?

Anyways I found this thread at CGtalk, check it out if you want to know how to do the toon look in mental ray, with no plugins nothing its all in mental ray!

Go down to the bottom of page.

Link https://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php...2&page=1&pp=15

# 149 29-05-2005 , 09:00 PM
well i hear tomcat the first time in this thread....so i cant be much of help....sry

# 150 29-05-2005 , 09:41 PM
Dragonhawk,

Thanks for tryinguser added image

Well i'm happy with what mental ray can do as far as the cel toon look.

This is more what I have in mind, as for the style, this is just a test render. This is what I mean by real and toon mixuser added image

Tell me what you think guys. These are 100% mental ray renders using maya & mental ray shaders.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by vedic kings; 29-05-2005 at 09:49 PM.