Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 30-04-2010 , 10:32 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Cool, thats that cleared up

have a good one too

Jay

# 17 01-05-2010 , 12:55 AM
Lifetime Member
gster is this what you were on about??

https://alephzero.co.uk/what.htm

interesting idea!!

Mayaniac

I believe the nano tubes you are on about were based on the spider web principle?? Where the tensile strength of a spider web and its marvellous construction is 10 times stronger than the strongest steel we have yet devised on a scalar level??? They have used the principle in fishing line stringing the polymers together similar to the web to give a fantastic resistant strength, COUPLED with the elasticity of a true web, therefore giving it a much greater prospect of surviving multiple stresses.

This is being applied to building material as we speak, maybe one day in the future our bridges will be made of the stuff (as you stated) and when we return to the caves our ancestors will marvel at them as we do the pyramids. The beauty lies in natures design people!!!! we need not invent it, it is already there, as a wonderful being we are able to adapt these things to our own purpose.

Check out the doco's "Extreme Engineering" guys, if you are interested in construction (yes I am a Surveyor so yes I am), then check it out. It steers away from the sci-fi alien stuff but is real and marvellous. It makes me wonder some times why, as a species, we can be so cold and cruel to each other YET get together to accomplish what the dinosaurs couldnt.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 18 01-05-2010 , 02:04 AM
Subscriber
Sorry this is so long, i have a full day of replies to catch up with. LoL.

@ Bullet
Speed of light = 299,792,458Meters per second,
or 186,000 miles per second ( rounded off )
Sorry i think i typed hour earlier

@Steve
you stated the size of a computer doesn't matter?
this page actually tells the source and the calculations which backup my statement, that the speed of light can actually effect the size of a computer in relation to the speed at which it processes.
I.E. a 3 gig processor has to be within 10 CM of all the parts of the computer which it directly interacts with, or it will become slower.
Maximum Theoretical Processor Speed

Also Multi core processing is only a temporary fix, It is a work around for a problem that still exists, even computer techs will tell you this.

As far as nano technology being used in a computer, Perhaps, It is stated that a 12NM chip set will be required to support a true A.I.
But i think that the theories that govern Quantum Computing are more promising then Nano computers. They are based on Quantum Entanglement ( thank you by the way for correcting me, don't know why i was saying small and large nuclear attractions )

and on to quantum entanglement, Aye, true the partical, photon or part of the atom in question does not in its self move, but The data being transferred is moving faster then the speed of light, Theoretically two particles on opposite sides of the universe could instantaneously effect each other which would in essence be the data flowing between them has either A folded space on a quantum level, or B, traveled faster then the speed of light.

True that at least at this time it wouldn't work for a complex item such as a human, but it appears that a similar principle was used for the transporters in Star trek, and Michio Kaku stated in his series Sci Fi Science that it would be a plausible theory in 50 years or so for human transportation.
LAst thought on teleportation .
If Person A has to be vaporized so that you can rematerialized as PErson B, then what would that do to the laws concerning murder and malice in our great land? Could you not use as a true and fee-sable case against a murder charge " I was attempting to transport him...he forgot to re materialize "

On to carbon nano tubes:
they are in their self awesome, i would love to see a form of carbon nano tube memory material, Such as the memory springs that you can do what ever with then when they are heated or cooled to a specific temperature they spring back to their correct shape.

( Side note, Michio Kaku stated in "How to build a space ship" one could actually use carbon nano tubes, and a lattice work of lasers to protect the space ship from both incoming weapons, or space debris. )

So i was un aware that they make a great conductor , are they able to conduct all forms of energy? Heat fole, electromagnetic? and if so to the later, would they be capable of transmitting Light information as part of their electro magnetic conductivity? Also, what temperature do they have to be to be so conductive? would that temperature make them any more viable then ceramic superconductors?

To the LHC and other particle colliders = I hold thoughts on weather it is a truly fruitful venture until the LHC comes fully online in 2011.

Alpha Zero? i am un familiar with. enlighten me?

@ Jay and Bullet
Warp Theory. Their are two current working theories for true warp travel. #1, Mr Scotts Theory, warp space in front of and behind the ship so that the ship is both pulled and pushed along in a man made gravity well through space, This will both Solve the problem of time travel during FTL travel, and also solve the issue of inertial dampening...
Once more, Michio Kaku did a nice write up on it in his Sci Fi Science series last season. Basically he theorized that at the current progression of Scientific knowledge one would be able to use Anti matter / mater collisions ( yes, anti matter has been spotted, and proven to exist ) to create the energy required to cause the warp field effect, But the question would then become how to effectively harness this energy...Welp he proposed an answer to that as well, Using superconductive materials to form a magnetic containment device for the explosions. This theory has already been proven effective by using magnetic fields to both contain and shape the flow of Plasma.
(Side Note here, He also showed how to use Magnetically controlled plasma, and a telescoping tube to make a light saver, that hums and sparks just like all of us would want to see. and would also be able to cut through steel or a human body with little to no effort. )

@ Bullet, you think zero is hard to comprehend?
Try comprehending Planck time. There are more units of planck time in a single second, then there have been seconds since the formation of the universe 13.9 billion years ago.
see if you can wrap your head around that one easier then you can wrap your head around 0
and to answer your question Absolute zero is actually the correct term for the unit of measurement which you referr that can only have its state changed by adding to or subtracting from.

If i missed anything , i'll figure it out later
G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 19 01-05-2010 , 02:36 AM
Lifetime Member
g-man,

you are truly wonderful!!! It is nice to see some one who has more time than I to actually sit down and have a good read. I love it!!! Keep it up, the more you expose yourself to this the more you will learn.

And I believe it was Quantum Computing on the doco I was watching while they proposed building or constructing new materials on an atomic level??? I think they were British guys, fairly young too, I will look for it.

The trouble with teleporting organics, is, they are organic. To have the processing power to 1: compute and hold BILLIONS of moving cells in an instant of time is pretty damn hard. 2: to transport said organic (even across the room) and EVERY single particle to be re-arranged (hopefully not inside out) is again pretty damn hard. 3: If said organic is vapourised you have NO backup file so to speak of to arrange it at the other end if it goes pearshaped. Where does the data from this process get stored (if at all)?

The small and large nuclear forces you are on about, I think you are getting the Unified theory in there???

Yes absolute zero is what I was on about, it is/was apparently a pivotal concept in mathmatics back in the day of wine/women and conqueor.

I posted a link to Aleph zero below bro.

Again with the space craft, you would need considerable processing power to protect it from particles hitting it I would think. I dont belive the human race will need to travel anyway, having a replicant or avatar to do the job is more efficient and negates the need to preserve the organic side of it. We would still need to break FTL for data in any case as comms between you and the avatar would be impossible and of course the time paradox created when at FTL or faster.

Planck time?? I have read about it somewhere.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg planck.jpeg (1.8 KB, 246 views)

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 20 01-05-2010 , 02:49 AM
Lifetime Member
@legendofzombi and @mayaniac

slightly off tack but I think they are still trying the bio solution as well in computing?? The OLED screen for TV is along those lines isnt it???

Another form of propulsion were laser pulses on a thin sheild at the rear of the craft. I believe energy was the problem but they were working on a theory similar to 'ramjet; tech, where it would scoop up hydrogen particles (after initial thrust) and create propulsion that way. If they can solve and harness dark energy (if it exists) this may work on a similar principle.

cheers bullet

Oh and g-man the bending of the spacial plane is a great theory, instead of a wormhole, you bend space itself. No need for a wormhole and no connection to keep stable (in theory). Much like the mirror on the wall, sounds good.

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 01-05-2010 at 02:56 AM.
# 21 01-05-2010 , 12:42 PM
Lifetime Member
off track again,

now that you 2 genii have started this monster,

IS there a function in Maya that will do a blanket pull?? ie instead of UV mapping all these edges etc etc etc you could say get a cup, split the inner from outer faces. Then 'grab' a nominated point and 'pull' the skin so to speak to a planar level?? or nominate said point and the 'skin' follows the contour (like liquid) until it lays on a plane?? get my drift?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 22 01-05-2010 , 06:21 PM
Subscriber
you totally confused me mate.
try explaining a bit differently? add image? something..lol
g-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 23 01-05-2010 , 09:12 PM
Lifetime Member
this thread has got me thinking and if you created an elevator to the moon (saves on rockets of course ) , how fast would it have to travel to achieve what would be considered an exceptable amount of time to be in the said elevator?
I dont think i would like more that 3 hours or so in such a confined space although it would depend on the company of course ..lol

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 24 01-05-2010 , 11:33 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by jsprogg
this thread has got me thinking and if you created an elevator to the moon (saves on rockets of course ) , how fast would it have to travel to achieve what would be considered an exceptable amount of time to be in the said elevator?
I dont think i would like more that 3 hours or so in such a confined space although it would depend on the company of course ..lol

Well, the elevator wouldn't extend to the moon... it would be totally torn apart as the moon moves slightly further away from the planet. The elevator would extend to a dock in Earth orbit.... essentially a ship yard, where ships would be built to travel to the moon, or Mars, and beyond. As the ships wouldn't have to break from the Earth's clutches... the ships could be designed completely differently, could go further and carry more. With a standard Rocket it takes 90% of it's mass to get the rocket into Earth orbit. All the fuel required, not to mention the fuel storage, boosters, etc. In the end all that gets into space is usually a small capsule, or a small shuttle.

The elevator would also make exploration easier. Once your ship, which you docked to in Earth's orbit, has taken you to Mars. It would simple fire down an 'anchor' or base for the elevator... then you simply take a ride down to the surface.

As for the time it takes... I'm not sure how long ti would take to get into geosynchronous orbit

G-man:

great points, I will have to read into some of that stuff... great links and insight.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 25 02-05-2010 , 12:41 AM
Lifetime Member
The Maya man is right. The method of propulsion is an issue as cables would not be effective. I saw a doco on some British dudes c/o James May where they were using high intensity lasers to 'push' a UFO so to speak to gain height. The laser pulsed underneath the UFO and somehow created lift, it was part of a comp into this elevator theory.

Once in orbit off you go. I believe they were thinking of mining helium3 from the moon for the fuel steve? I cant remember. This fuel theoretacally could power any ship and as you said, no gravity to escape from. The days of blasting components using standard hydrocarbons would be over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity

The above might explain some things. If the laser thing didnt work there was another 'rail' system proposed from memory, much the same way a roller coaster starts off on its journey. The loading would be a problem, so you have power of unit/weight/propulsion issues which need to be resolved. It is quite a feasible idea. I would think also the 'dock' would need some good processing to keep it in orbit? as even geostationary object orbit decay over time, so it would have to be constantly adjusting for this. Of course the propulsion method would have to be strong but flexible enough for this as well.

cheers bullet

I will do a sketch today and throw it up g-man

bullet1968

# 26 02-05-2010 , 12:43 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

# 27 02-05-2010 , 01:05 AM
Bullet: I heard something a long time ago about mining on the moon, but it won't happen anytime soon. Especially with the cancellation of the constellation project. America isn't even planning on going back to the moon, "Been there done that" was Obama's general opinion on it (in less words of course) but I do like the new ideas.

Well, the dock wouldn't fall out of Orbit thanks to centrifugal force. It's like taking a yoyo and spinning it around with in your hand.... all you have to do is rotate your wrist to a quick enough velocity, and the yoyo stays fully extended. The same would apply to the space elevator.

As for the laser propulsion design you mentioned. That wouldn't actually be guided on a cable. It's actually achieves it's lift from super heating the air inside of an inverted cone with a laser, the super heated air is then blasted out of the bottom creating lift.

I saw the James May show you're talking about "Big Ideas" I think it's called. The mini elevator you saw there was creating it's lift with electrical motors. They just point a high intensity light (laser on the bigger models) at the base, which is formed of a small solar array, which converts the light into electrical energy to run the motors.

G-man: I've been reading a bit more into Quantum Entanglement, and I'm not too sure of it's effectiveness as a teleportation device. As the two entangled particle start together, and are then spread apart, and of course you get the great real time update effects. And this might work for transferring data on a previously established system.

But let me give you this to play with. Lets say we develop the technology to transport people using this method. We have the Entangled particles we need to begin the "transfer". We have decided we want to send our subject to a new planet 1,000 light years away. We know that the "Data (our person)" would be transported/updated there instantly, faster than light could even get there (1,000 years)..... We have out first entangled particle sat here.... but how does the second of the entangled particles get to the new planet to receive the "data (person)"?

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 28 02-05-2010 , 01:21 AM
Lifetime Member
I heard the Americans dont want to go either BUT the CHINESE might start the ball rolling. As the biggest single population next to India (yes the Indians are at it too) they need energy. Traditional 'green' energy wont suffice, nuclear is the option of the moment (unless fusion gets solved). So they were thinking hard, this is where the elevator came in on the scene. No rockets needed and mining made very easy.

Centrifugal force yes, BUT will it work with the docking unit in zero gravity??? I didnt see that part on the doco. And you have gravity if the centifugal doesnt work. Enlighten me my friend.

here you go g-man, see if this makes sense, you to steve

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 02-05-2010 at 01:25 AM.
# 29 02-05-2010 , 01:24 AM
Lifetime Member
You would have to have a 'receival' unit wouldnt you steve?? if thats what you meant? but you wouldnt be able to. Secondly how the hell would you get the accuracy to hit said planet?? As a Surveyor I would like to know this one!!! It would be a real bitch to be 'sent' and get the wrong address???

bullet1968

# 30 02-05-2010 , 01:31 AM
I see what the image is saying (I think). But not sure what it's for.... must have missed a question or some info.

The centrifugal force would work better in space... not as much gravity to compete with. This method could also be used for artificial gravity.

Oh yeah, everyone is is getting in on Space exploration... but I'm not sure if anyone is planning any mining trips to the moon. I read that the private sector would might be aiming for the moon.... but purely for thrill seekers with big wallets. But even commercial space flight is a long way from taking people to the moon.

The sheer cost of getting into and back from space at the moment is FAR to expensive for any mining trip to turn a profit.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"