Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 04-02-2012 , 01:15 PM

My Stargate Project (Looking For Help)

Hey guys, I've been a member here for quite some time now but always just a lurker on the forums. I wanted to show off my current project and see if I can recruit a little help. I designed and modeled my own version of a stargate for a project I'm working on.

Basically, this stargate will be superimposed onto photos and in live action videos that I have brewing in my head haha. I've finished te modeling but am looking for someone willing to do the texturing. That is my weak poit and I need it done good enough to look realistic when used in the films. Normally I would do it myself and take my time but I am in the air force and only have a month to finish my whole project.

I've attached a picture of te model with my current, albeit, basic textures. I'm looking for feedback as well as someone willing to take my project files and do a complete texture of it based off my ideas. I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by anubisdeath666; 04-02-2012 at 03:37 PM.
# 2 04-02-2012 , 09:07 PM
The Nurb Herd
Is it UVd?

# 3 04-02-2012 , 09:14 PM
No, not yet. I don't know enough about UVing to do it correctly. I should have mentioned that in the original post. Oops. The entire project, however, is organized and grouped properly.

# 4 05-02-2012 , 03:20 PM
Well the good news is this is a simple object to UV. Just do a planner map for the front and back face and a cylindrical map for the inner and outer rims.

I can't help with the digital painting of the maps though as I am not a very good digital painter but here is a video to help you with laying out the UV's. This technique will work for any tire like shape.

https://youtu.be/gutdcAJdRCY

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 05-02-2012 at 07:32 PM.
# 5 05-02-2012 , 08:24 PM
ctbram, Thank you, SO much. I just watched through your video and I really, really appreciate it. You explained how to do the UV mapping in such a way that it doesn't seem as intimidating to a beginner anymore. This gives me a whole new confidence level to attempt to UV it myself.

I'll hopefully get a chance to mess around with this and give it a shot later tonight or tomorrow. I'll post my results here in my WIP thread.

# 6 07-02-2012 , 03:16 AM
There were some important bits I did not cover like - cutting and sewing verts, unfolding and relaxing, pinning, warping, and applying a test pattern to the unfolded UV's but I was pushing on 20 minutes. I hope it was enough to take some of the fear and mystery out of unwrapping. UV's are probably my least favorite thing but with perseverance it does get easier.

If you get stuck shout out for help.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 07-02-2012 , 04:32 AM
Well, as part of my Stargate project, I decided to make a Kino, which is a device from Stargate Universe...I used the UV unwrapping methods and hand painted the texture in photoshop and wrapped it back around, and I think I did a decent job for being a beginner with UV and Textures, what do you guys think? Bonus points if you know what a Kino is haha.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 07-02-2012 , 06:07 AM
Lifetime Member
that looks ok mate...and no I dont know what a Kino is LOL...beer barrell?

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 07-02-2012 , 07:56 AM
The Nurb Herd
It's a fancy camera. user added image

# 10 07-02-2012 , 08:03 AM

It's a fancy camera. user added image

I couldn't phrase that any better if I tried haha.

# 11 07-02-2012 , 08:07 AM
The Nurb Herd
I liked stargate universe, not sure why it was cancelled.

So are you going to try uving the gate?

# 12 07-02-2012 , 08:18 AM
Lifetime Member
I think it died dom because the franchise had been beaten to death, same as Star Trek, DS9 etc etc etc

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 13 07-02-2012 , 08:19 AM
SGU was amazing. It really picked up halfway through the second season, it's sad that not only was it cancelled, but that it marked the end of a huge franchise. I've been watching it since SG-1 first aired.

And about the gate, yes. I'm going to UV the main gate tomorrow hopefully, and then try to UV the other pieces after that.

# 14 07-02-2012 , 08:20 AM

I think it died dom because the franchise had been beaten to death, same as Star Trek, DS9 etc etc etc

cheers bullet

I agree with that but only slightly. SG-1 should have stayed off the air after it was cancelled the first time at Season 8. They pretty much tied up all the loose ends and had to start fresh with a new enemy for seasons 9-10. Atlantis, however, as well as SGU, could have been extended without issue.

# 15 07-02-2012 , 09:36 AM
Ok, I have a question now about the UVing. First off, I have my gate smoothed, so doing a Planar projection, or any for that matter, seems to not work because any texture that I place on there get's distorted from the smoothing. How do I work around that?

Secondly, if I painstakingly select all of the front and back faces to do the planar (there are probably 2,000 faces, and double clicking to select the ring doesn't work most of the time on it) how would I prevent the slanted faces from being drawn not full size on the texture map? What I mean is, I can't paint 1:1 on those parts because it would be squeezed. Sorry if these are dumb questions, but UVing is brand new to me.