Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 06-03-2011 , 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

Objects turning black

This is driving me nuts. It seems like when certain MR shaders are assigned to objects and you select the objects while the UV texture editor is open, any objects using that shader turn pitch black. It seems to be a problem with these shaders:

mia_material
mi_car_paint_phen
mi_metallic_paint
misss_fast_shader
misss_fast_skin_maya
misss_fast_simple_maya

All the x and passes versions work fine, whats bothering me are the skin and simple sss shaders. I tried reconnecting the shader to it's materialInfo node only to have the problem pop up again when the scene is reopened wtf!

- Genny
# 2 06-03-2011 , 06:41 AM
I've never noticed that before. I just tried it and you're right, same thing happens to me. The material looks find in renders and the swatches look fine in Hypershade. But in the texture editor, it's black and in the view port it's black. Even if I use undo feature, it still stays black. If I assign the shader to another object, it's black on that object too. That's pretty annoying for sure.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 06-03-2011 , 10:44 PM
Super Moderator
I kinda figured out the problem. Every shader is connected to it's own materialInfo node. This node has power over what texture/color is displayed in the viewport etc.

The UV editor breaks the texture connection between materialInfo node and the texture/swatch info the shader is using. I queried the connection before and after the editor opens and they are different.

If I re-connect them AND lock the attribute then the UV editor doesn't mess with it but that prevents checking the different textures attached to the shader in the UV editor so I'm digging around again. Why it treats these particular shaders like this I don't know :s

- Genny
# 4 07-03-2011 , 01:00 AM
Nice trouble shooting and explanation, thx.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!