Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 27-08-2005 , 06:21 PM
Subscriber

How do i Render glow effects in toonshading?

I was currently working on rendering this robot with toonshading and glowing eyes.The glow is present on regular render (maya software,hardware,mental ray.etc), but when i switch to rendering with maya vector (for the toonshading effect) the glow in the eyes dissapears . Is there a way to keep the glow of the material shader and still apply toonshading for the rest? here is the pic of both renders.

If anyone has any hints, it would greatly be appreciated. thanks for reading.

Attached Thumbnails

"It is Difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet"
-Miyamoto Musashi-
# 2 27-08-2005 , 06:31 PM
Subscriber
Maybe try using a light to create that glow. But I would bet there would be some type of way to keep the glow. But your gonna have to wait for a guy that knows more than nothing about rendering before you should listen to me.

# 3 27-08-2005 , 07:53 PM
Subscriber
Lights ! that's right i forgot that. I'll try using point lights on the eyes and see how that works. Thanks a lot man. , I'll post another updated pic to see if it worked.

P.s Does anyone know if maya is able to render 2 types of renders in a scene? vector (toonshading) let's say for the character and regular render for the background? I figure it can only be done throgh rendering things separate and then compositing.

-Miyamoto Musashi-
# 4 29-08-2005 , 02:44 AM
For the glow I'd personally prefer photoshop/after effects... its all in what you got the funds for though.

# 5 29-08-2005 , 06:29 AM
Subscriber
Yeah probably aftereffects might be the best solution so far. Since i am planning on doing some animation, photoshop might take me a long time. I still havent tried using the 2 point lights on the eyes yet, but i'll see which one is the best time saver. Thanks a lot for your feedbacks guys.

If anyone knows of any cool tricks for vector rendering effects and would like to share their wisdom, It is always appreciated. I only have a year of experience so far therefore i always end up doing things the hard way,X_x .

-Miyamoto Musashi-

Last edited by ryuhayabusa13; 29-08-2005 at 06:36 AM.
# 6 29-08-2005 , 06:39 PM
NEver touched it minus goofing around with -- what was it? Flash 3? in school.

# 7 29-08-2005 , 07:10 PM
Subscriber
At least you had that. I envy today's kids having all the software available for them since middle school. I am 27 and when i was in high school I barely got to use microsoft paint on windows 3.1

The best way to blur things was doing it pixel by pixel back then.

LOL

-Miyamoto Musashi-
# 8 29-08-2005 , 07:32 PM
I actually didn't have that :p I had a lunch break, the art and design kids had that, I had access to the computers :p

What? They didn't care -- I left when people needed the computers and its better than PLAYING flash games :p

Come to think of it, I wonder what the prices for FlashMX are--you KNOW someone who is mesmorized by Flash 7/etc. is just looking for a garage sale.

# 9 29-08-2005 , 10:03 PM
Subscriber
I just read on the november issue of 3d world magazine that the new maya 7 has a lot of more cool features for toonshading effects including what i was asking before about it being able to render stuff from different render engines on top of that it has toonshading painteffects to cheat the effect much more easily.

I wonder if it has a toonshader as good as softimage XSI's Appleseed.

And about Flash, I am more comfortable with after effects than i am wih Flash for now. Well I have only experimented with flash for a few weeks so i haven't gotten the chance to fully get comfortable with it. I'll definittelly get back to flash later. Although it's pretty cool that we can make those SWF flash files in the vector rendering options on maya.

-Miyamoto Musashi-

Last edited by ryuhayabusa13; 29-08-2005 at 10:05 PM.