Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 23-03-2005 , 10:27 PM

rendering hair with mental ray

Hi,

can anyone please help me with rendering hair with mental ray? I am writing a hair shader for mental ray but since I'am pretty new to Maya, I cannot manage to render hair with my own (or in fact any other) shader. It works fine with primitive geometry, but I would like to use the mental ray built-in hair geometry. So I tried to use fur first. It works fine with mental ray, but I cant assign any other shader, than the default one. And I also tried to use Paint Hair. This one does not render with mental ray at all, unless I convert it to polygons.
So if anyone has a clue, I would really appreciate any help.
Many thanks!

Anton

# 2 24-03-2005 , 05:03 PM
Subscriber
the hair system is not supported with MR. The only way around this is through a plugin which at the moment I cannot remember the name of.

# 3 03-10-2005 , 11:19 AM

oops

Maya 7 can render hair, easy as pie, infact better than before.