Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-02-2013 , 10:21 AM

Fine-tuning of image planes - how?

I got a problem with some slight height differences between the three image planes I’m using to model after. I need to adjust this somehow, but given the very small differences in height then I’m not sure how to do it. I’m aware that I can go into attributes of each image plane and adjust its position along the y- and x-axis that way; however I found it rather hard to get it in the exact height when just dealing with numbers there. What I’m basically looking for is a easier way to do it – if there for example are any similar tools to the “Polygon move tool” that could be used on image planes to move them up and down. Or if there are any other possible solutions to it.

Here is the height difference between the profile and front plane:
user added image

And the difference between the profile and the top plane. The black x is approximately where it is now, while the red x indicates where it is supposed to be:
user added image

It's worth noting that my profile plane is slightly higher than the one from the front, as I draw into some features from the roof into the profile in order for me to remember how the roof in connection with the side should look.

Last edited by Heyhei; 07-02-2013 at 10:04 PM.
# 2 14-02-2013 , 04:48 AM
Subscriber
not to be rude but is it really worth it to fix the problem? It doesn't look like you're missing out on much reference information on the image planes

You could always adjust how the image sits on the plane under the Attributes editor, the 2nd tab from the left, I believe. The numbers can be tricky at times to make the image fit just right on the image plane but I usually just drag the sliders a few times and it pops up just right

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 3 14-02-2013 , 10:47 AM
Lifetime Member
did you use poly planes for your refs or image plane option from camera? I find creating planes is easier.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes