Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 12-11-2014 , 08:26 AM

xGen & Mental Ray Issues

Hi guys,

I was recently working on your tutorial “creating a pegasus using xgen” on digital tutors and ran into a few problems.

Everything worked fine until I tried to duplicate the left wing of the pegasus to the right.
The Wing always disappeared when I copied it over. I double checked the tutorial but I couldn’t find a solution. So I tried to do the right Wing manually. It worked, but just to a point where I can move the sliders for length, tilt, and so on. I was not able to use the same expressions from the left side. When I entered the expressions, the wing disappeared again. On every description layer and just for the right side.

Until now I haven’t found a solution for this…
I continued on the fur for the body and the hair for tail and mane. So far it worked ok. On the fur sometimes weird things happen like if I change the density value, the fur goes back into its default position and I have to style the fur from scratch (Just on the body).

I heard that the batch rendering makes problems too, so I already tried this out. And yes: My batch render is not working too. The live render works fine for me. But when I batch render, the whole fur, feathers and hairs are missing. There is just the horse model. I did it as in the tutorial: I am using mental ray renderer, set it to batch render, I exported patches for batch render, set the percent value to 100%, auto set the primitive bound, checked my render settings (rendering format: targa, correct frames and camera)… I tried a lot: updating the viewer for collections/descriptions, rendering a moving camera (checked on the animation box), the perspective cam and a camera which is not moving and of course: I set my project. My model has no animation, it is just changing the poses in every frame from 1-4. Sometimes XGen renders only the horse model, and when I try another render it sometimes renders nothing.

I am really desperate now.. I was doing research for the whole weekend on the internet and can’t find any solution for my problems. Actually there is not a lot about XGen on the internet so far.
I hope you guys could help me somehow. I really want to finish this project and continue using XGen.
I am working with the Student Version of Maya 2015 (Service Pack 5) and my renderer is mental ray.
I am using a Mac Book Pro OS X (Version 10.9.5).

Thanks in advance!