Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 09-07-2008 , 05:40 PM
Subscriber

pasting animation

hi all, i should know this.., i have a very heavy scene made by someone without a clue of what they were doing.., did two weeks of a correspondence course, thought they knew everything and 'made a car.' now they want me to animate it.., it takes, no joke, a minute to respond to anything.., try and rotate it a litle and.., yes, wait a minute and it responds.., but of course it over shoots the mark.., this goes on forever.., they want this for an exhibition in 'mixed media'.., ive helped for weeks now and this person is busting my ....,

can i use a cube.., animate it as a sort of proxy.., then copy and paste that animation info into the scene with/onto the 'car' (i say the word loosely.)

cheers for any help

mirekuser added image

may as well through in a render for interest sake

Attached Thumbnails

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 10-07-2008 , 02:50 AM
Hi Mirek, you could make a proxy car like you said and parent the high to the low so it inherits the animation then bake the high to keys (or just hide the low and render if its not a problem)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 10-07-2008 , 07:27 PM
Subscriber
thanks Steve, i wasnt at school the day they showed us to bake animation and i forget what i did know.., can you give me a quick workflow.., all i need is a pointer in the right direction

any thanks

# 4 10-07-2008 , 07:48 PM
If say you have an object thats running under dynamics (dosn't have to be, it could be the case of a parented object, constriant etc etc) and its getting a little slow on simulation, or you want to edit the splines in the graph editor for a stylized look you need to convert the animation into keyframes.

What you do is pretty simple! You select the object that you want the keys applied to and go to edit->Keys, bake simulation, theres lots of options if you open the option box (such as timings for the keys, heiarchy etc etc.)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 10-07-2008 , 08:08 PM
Subscriber
thanks for that

Mirekuser added image