Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 27-04-2011 , 09:19 PM
Subscriber
why are you retopologizing?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 32 27-04-2011 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber
a few reasons really.

Ive never really done it before, so I kind of want to go through the process.

And I lost my lower subdivision levels when I used transpose master. Dont know how or why. The main body at level 1 now is about a million polys. I tried to use 'reconstruct subdiv'...but got told that my mesh contained triangles so that wasnt possible...

My original base mesh is in the original T-pose, so I didnt think I had alot of choice if I wanted to get a sub 6000 poly limit...

...any other suggestions?

Ive always kind of avoided getting to learn retopologizing, but zbrush is something Id like to use more and Ive always struggled getting decent results when using normal and displacement maps from zbrush in Maya, so anything I can do to investigate/explore other routes is positive I think.....

What say you?

# 33 27-04-2011 , 09:50 PM
Subscriber
oh right. yeah, not sure of any other suggestions other than exporting your model (or parts of it) and adjusting your maya model to fit the zbrush model and then use the transfer maps thing to create normal maps
but that's probably more likely to end in tears and time loss

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 34 27-04-2011 , 09:58 PM
Subscriber
to be fair, I imagine either way I do it, it's gonna end in tears! or dissappointment at least.

I had thought about doing it in Maya, but that way relys on you manually placing your verts, whereas in Z using the zspheres they'll stick to the surface. ? Unless you can 'make live' the mesh....but then that would mean making a new base mesh from scratch anyway. I dunno, im just finishing the face up now, so will see how far I can get and what will be will be. I ultimately want to continue it on as a high detail sculpt, but as I entered the comp I dont want to just have been posting in the competition forum and then buzz off at the end, so I want to at least make an effort to get an 'enterable' entry, although, like I say, I will be away after tomorrow.

# 35 27-04-2011 , 11:05 PM
Subscriber
You ever retopologized in Zbrush before Chirone?

# 36 27-04-2011 , 11:47 PM
Subscriber
once upon a time.
i don't remember how to do it and i remember it being somewhat of a difficult process because it would crash every so often and saving was hit and miss. sometimes it would save and reload as i left it, other times it would reload and have something funny going on...

# 37 27-04-2011 , 11:53 PM
Subscriber
ah. Ive had no problems with crashing so far. Was gonna see if you had any suggestions for a kind of backface culling effect in Zbrush. Ive done the face and got down the front side of his torso, but as I spin him round to do his back, it gets really hectic cause all the front topology is showing through. Reading on ZBC it seems thats just something you have to put up with. Theres some back and front transparency controls but they have their own drawbacks...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ben hobden; 27-04-2011 at 11:58 PM.
# 38 28-04-2011 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber
That was pretty arduous, but got through it just about. AT times I was almost getting a bit of a flow going, once, the process of making up the polys and then clicking away from the model and the different controls became familiar. A little like laying out uvs, there was a kind of puzzle element to it that had its own little satisfactions.

There were a few mistakes and triangles so Ive brought the lowest level into Maya to try and straighten some of those out, then I think the idea is to go back to Z and project the high level details onto it. With a bit of luck the difference maps might work.

Sheesh. It's taken something like 7 or 8 hours...if these competitions are supposed to get you doing new things then Ive definitely done that here. Pleased with myself.

edit: with the lack of time in mind I have left out the hands and feet.

Attached Thumbnails
# 39 30-04-2011 , 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
I've been silently watching your thread Ben, you better finish this!user added image

- Genny
# 40 02-05-2011 , 10:54 AM
Subscriber
Hi gen. Thanks for watching. I got back from my weekend away yesterday but been in 'hiding under the duvet mode'. Lots of alcohol etc. Ive just seen the final entries thread is up, but ive had some problems with my projection attempts in zbrush. Gonna try and get on zbrush central today to ask some questions and if I get any results will post up.