Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 07-10-2013 , 06:32 PM
Subscriber

Table of Contents

Hi,
Not sure I'm in the right subsection but I'll give it a go
I just purchased Realistic Outdoor Environments & I would like to consult a table of contents if such exists. I need to look at the bit that talks about speeding up your rendering sooner rather than later, so if nothing else, do you know where that part begins (he mentioned he would be talking about it later in one of the early lessons - I'm on lesson 8 now)
Thanks
TEvans

# 2 07-10-2013 , 07:29 PM
SM Tea Boy
I believe i was talking about speeding up renders by creating assets with less pollys. Which happens later on in the tutorial when we get onto trees.

There is no one part that deals with this more a collection of thoughts on scene optimization as we go along. A large scale environment is just going to take a while to render.

Apologies for the lack of table of contents it slipped my mind, i worked on this tutorial for a couple of months and got so familiar with it i simply forgot.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 07-10-2013 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber
ok thanks
I'm just trying to render the single patch of grass (using a smaller sample density that you did) & test renders at low quality 200 ish * 450 ish pixels are taking 2 minutes +.
I have 12 (well 11) gigs of ram & an i7 processor so I was expecting quicker results from 2014. It's enough to make me check out Vray! (without even a clue as to whether or not its faster)

Well, thanks for the tuts, you do the kinds of things (stained glass, real interiors etc) that I have been looking for for years.
Now for some underwater scenes!? eh?

T

# 4 07-10-2013 , 08:31 PM
SM Tea Boy
Sounds a bit slow, if you want to upload the scene here i'll take a look at your setting for you.

Large scale explosions are up next that one will be out in two weeks. I can certainly look at an underwater scene after that.

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 29-10-2013 , 04:53 PM
Subscriber
Thanks, I'm going to look into another thing or two before I ask you to look at it.
I took the material off & rendered with solid color swatches & it rendered quickly so its something in the material set up thats rendering so slowly.
I'm going to try a few things when i get time to revisit- render diagnostics for a startuser added image