SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Maya Questions / Maya Modeling / bevel edges in cylindrical mesh

Maya Modeling Everything on Modeling Techniques and Tools - NURBS, Polygons and Subdivisions Related in this Section.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

29-01-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
Skalman

bevel edges in cylindrical mesh
Im making this, the highlighted part is where im having some troubles..

I need to get a bevel, but i don't seem to find a good way to do this... last exit will be separating the meshes, unless you got any good solution for this

^ This is how i want the edges to be, but without the weird crease going down my cylinder-shaped mesh...

Also i'm gonna smooth this out later, i just tried beveling the edges, smoothing then deleting the beveled edges, i get the result i want kind of, but the edges aren't smooth now, theres just 1 edge, i want a bevel of 3 edges, so kind of back where i started from if im gonna be stubborn here :p

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^

Last edited by Skalman; 29-01-2015 at 10:45 AM.
29-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
PierreLeSang

It's pretty simply if i understand correctly. Just put some edge loops in places like those edges (where you want them hard) and then smooth. You'll get a nice hard edges and everything else will be like on the image.
29-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
Skalman

^after i smoothed it

im thinking this should work, but when i smooth it, it kind of messed up. i can clean this mesh though, but it'd be nice to know a better way for next time

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
29-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
stwert
EduSciVis-er

Try using creases instead of adding geometry.
29-01-2015, 10:10 PM   #5
daverave
The thin red line

The way you are doing it is good but you have to move some of the verts out so it smooth correctly, just a case of playing about tile it looks correct..................dave

30-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
ctbram

1. Start with slightly more base geometry. Here is the result starting with a 20x20 sphere.

http://imgur.com/a/Q6Uso

The higher the starting density the less noticeable any puckering will be. Also take into account the intended shot distance. If you are far enough away to see the arm all the way to the elbo you'd never see any puckering.

2. You could also go denser still, then bevel the edges and do not smooth.

3. you could also separate the upper extruded portion and you will not have to deal with the corners in the lower part by just cutting off the top and snuggling it up under the upper extruded part.

4. Creases are also an option but I am not a fan of Maya creasing.

5. take it into zbrush make it 80 gazillion polygons. Extrude it. normal map it and then project it back on the unsmoothed maya geo which seems to be the new norm in modeling. (smile)

Last edited by ctbram; 30-01-2015 at 11:09 AM.