Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 17-09-2012 , 07:56 PM

Mudbox to Maya Settings

Hi... newbie here:

I sculped this little guy a few months ago, but had to postpone the project. Now I'm picking up where I left, but I'm having quite a trouble baking the normal maps again.

Before I shelved the project, I baked the normal map for the facial features and everything went really smooth from Mudbox to Maya. No problems.

Now that I have to add some extra details in Mudbox, I can´t get the same results whatsoever! It´s the same meshes, the same files, same UVs, SAME EVERYTHING... except for the baking settings! And I can't remember the settings I used the last time.

It´s been 2 frustrating weeks trying every single setting available using the old "trial and error" method and i can't make it work. I´ve even tried baking the normal map in XNormal... and I can´t get it right!.

Here are some examples:

Original Normal Map baked in Mudbox 2011 with unknown settings:
user added image

Mudbox 2011 Subdivision 2k:
user added image

Mudbox 2011 Raycasting (Closest to Target, Best Guess, 2k):
user added image

XNormal (Using the values from the Ray Distance Calculator, Average Normals, Match UVs, Edge padding: 32, Bucket Size:128, 2K):
user added image

Help!... any thoughts?

# 2 17-09-2012 , 08:13 PM
The thin red line
I would try Xnormal it does a better job of creating the normal than mudbox and its free, if not does mudbox not have a maya setting or is that for displacment map.............dave

# 3 17-09-2012 , 08:21 PM

I would try Xnormal it does a better job of creating the normal than mudbox and its free, if not does mudbox not have a maya setting or is that for displacment map.............dave

Thanx dave:

I used XNormal for the last image, and I still can´t duplicate the original result, no matter what settings I'm using.

Help!