Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 20-12-2012 , 01:53 PM
Subscriber

Help with model texture

I am returning to the forum after a long 'break' of sorts and apologize for my lack in ability to use the search function. I have a feeling that if I stick with SimplyMaya that I will be able to use the forum more constructively.

I am modeling the golden snitch from the Harry Potter series and trying to decide what type of texture map to use in order to achieve the bumps and texture it requires. I have pictured a close up of the snitch below.

I thought that using the 3d paint tool might be helpful, but found it wonky at best. Many of the reliefs I make are blocky and pixelated for lack of better words.

Am I best off making my own map in Photoshop and transferring it as a complete map or is there a way to constructively paint my own map.

I'm sure there will be more questions on the model from me, just a heads up. I haven't routinely worked with Maya in years.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 20-12-2012 , 02:23 PM
The thin red line
UV first then I would model most of the relief (except text) use make live and draw curve on the sphere then extrude along these, you could then bake out a occlusion map to help texture in photoshop or use the mesh as is............not easy texturing spheres...........dave

# 3 20-12-2012 , 06:34 PM
Subscriber

UV first then I would model most of the relief (except text) use make live and draw curve on the sphere then extrude along these, you could then bake out a occlusion map to help texture in photoshop or use the mesh as is............not easy texturing spheres...........dave

Any tutorials that might help point me in the right direction? As I said, it's been a while since I've used maya. What benefit would an occlusion map have over a normal or bump map?

# 4 20-12-2012 , 07:10 PM
The thin red line
None that I know of, its not to hard all you do is make a sphere live then paint CV curve on it following your reference (dont try and do in one go) then when you have the pattern sorted out use a nurb circle to extrude along the curves (I then convert to polys after I have it all sorted out). this took me about 10 min to sort out...............dave

Edit:sorry did not read the end of your post,why a occlusion map two reason for me 1 it will show up in photoshop were the raised pattern will be on the sphere and also you can use it as a dirt map

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 20-12-2012 at 07:19 PM.
# 5 20-12-2012 , 07:26 PM
Subscriber

None that I know of, its not to hard all you do is make a sphere live then paint CV curve on it following your reference (dont try and do in one go) then when you have the pattern sorted out use a nurb circle to extrude along the curves (I then convert to polys after I have it all sorted out). this took me about 10 min to sort out...............dave

Edit:sorry did not read the end of your post,why a occlusion map two reason for me 1 it will show up in photoshop were the raised pattern will be on the sphere and also you can use it as a dirt map

I wasn't quite sure what you meant, but I found this tutorial and think it will work great. Although I was hoping to keep the poly/(nurbs unit) too a minimum and this actually creates more geometry.

I suppose I will try both methods and compare results.

Turns out I'm going to need a lot more practice, experience, and reference to get this model done. I'll post back with progress, hopefully soon.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Last edited by alienscience; 20-12-2012 at 07:41 PM.
# 6 20-12-2012 , 08:15 PM
The thin red line
If you get suck just post again, happy modelling...............dave