Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 31 03-07-2004 , 08:33 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Dude

Yeah I see what you're saying, Bournmouth is probably the best in the country.

But as far as the sticking to certain software, I think its best to stick to one while you are learning animation. Most houses in this country will either use Maya Max or Soft anyway some will have their own and they'll train you if you are good enough anyway, but at the end of the day if you are animating, Key framing and graph editing are the same.

But I wouldn't move between packages myself cos issues are gonna get confusing and also you're not gonna have all of them on your PC at home unless ya loaded.

Just my 10pence worth

_J

# 32 03-07-2004 , 09:56 AM
Subscriber
_J

hey dude, yeah i think i would agree to that, maya seems to be (kind of) "industry standard" from what i have learned, as you said there is max, etc... and have tried max, they are doing or did a 30 day trial, but felt my brain was torn in 2 tring to figure it all out... and promptly uninstalled it - i even tried amorphium 3.0 - that soon found its way off my had drive...

but when you get used to maya the program just naturally flows - i.m.o.

& heres one for you, work in maya for a couple of hours then try and play homeworld 2 - mindf*ck or what

M

MURPH
# 33 03-07-2004 , 12:53 PM

had a look and i think to take on a masters degree you already need to be trainned in cg and have a honours degree...

Not at all: for the masters I had a degree in computer science and some really bad models done in max which they didnt even look at. They do all the training you need. Athough it's not really classed as a training course. I did the MSc and was taught maya, houdini, renderman, photoshop, c++ etc and the maths etc behind it all. It's a much better way to spend that much money and it's got amazing industry links we had visits from ILM, WETA, framestore, mpc, loads of games companies etc. So it's well worth it and you get to spend a year living by the sea! Also the community afterwards is amazing, go to any post production house in the world and there's someone from Bournemouth trust me!! user added image

Thanks for the compliment on the Tank, it's not finished but i dont know if I ever will! user added image

Alan

EDIT: as far as industry standard a good guideline in basic skills is: maya (you should be able to key frame etc but you dont need to know it backwards!), shake (or some other compositing packages not after effects if you can avoid it! user added image) and be able to use photoshop. As long as you can demonstrate this knowledge you will be fine.

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 34 03-07-2004 , 02:02 PM
Subscriber
Interesting reading so far guys, I too have been looking at bournemouth or the course at escape studios after I finish my BA in digital media production(one year left) and this thread has clarified a few things for me.

A quick question for you Alan, How did you find the course and the falcilities?
where I am at the moment they are lacking somewhat

Cheers!

# 35 03-07-2004 , 02:21 PM
The Maya Mountain
Once you learn an app like Maya, others become easier. It's just a matter of determinig what Max button does what Maya function.

# 36 03-07-2004 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
cheers alan...

MURPH
# 37 03-07-2004 , 04:51 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
My entry level salary was about $28k US a year. I believe translated to England, that's under 20k pounds, lol.

It's alot less than 20k buddy, it's more like 14k, which is actually a pretty good salery... I guess not for 3D stuff tho, national average here is about 12k, which is near enough where I sit... 20k is a high salery, not /that/ high but you could live very comfortably on it.

# 38 03-07-2004 , 04:55 PM
The Maya Mountain
yeah, I forget how valued a pound is compared to the dollar. $12k US a year is fairly low unfortunately, depending on where you live of course.

# 39 03-07-2004 , 06:15 PM
In our country you wold be miilonare if earning $12k in yearuser added image In here if you earn $4k a year you can live comfortable life user added image

Noo0ooB... beginner... novice... newby... I'am new ! ! !

VERY BAD ENGLISH !
# 40 03-07-2004 , 07:59 PM

But as far as the sticking to certain software, I think its best to stick to one while you are learning animation

I'm acually learning animation traditionally. Which is why i havent been using Maya for a while, it takes a lot of time user added image

Check out Monster.co.uk for an idea on saleries in this industery. 16-18k GBP seems like a nice starting salary, although it isn't uncommon to find 20-30k+ at degree level. I once found an animation director job offering 50-60k a year :o

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 41 03-07-2004 , 08:09 PM
The Maya Mountain
'course, you don't get that director job right out of school. user added image

# 42 03-07-2004 , 09:19 PM
Subscriber
im still very newbie here...I just signed in a couple a mouths ago... I noticed this was a whole community that was going on and was kinda qurious going participate myself.....so...I did a lot of research about what app. to use and what the possibilities were... and just said to myself....Im going to do this 3d thing for 2 years and by than I will see where im at...
The reason is cause I will finish my photographic school by that time...and maybe 3d will be more than just a hobby.......we'll see user added image approx. 1 and a half year to go user added image

btw... it's funny to read this kinda stuff about demo reels and portfolios...cause just about everything you guys say is the same sh*t you need to know and do as a photographer...
...but don't talk about 3d demo reels and stuff with me cause im still doing the learning fase... user added image

# 43 03-07-2004 , 09:48 PM
The Maya Mountain
in any artistic field, demos and portfolios tend to be similar when it comes to structure.

# 44 06-07-2004 , 06:22 PM
I was talking about £s not $s... it's like $2 to £1.

it's like $1.87 to a £1 or something... US dollar has gone down a hell of alot in value...

# 45 06-07-2004 , 06:49 PM
and seeing how things are going it still has to drop (a bit) more..