Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 23-08-2006 , 10:43 AM
The Maya Mountain

July/Aug Final NORMAL Entries!

Post your finals here! Only final entries, please. If you'd like to comment on them, please do so at their original thread.

Final entries that are attached to the forum should be no larger than 640x480. If you'd like to post larger images, please link to them from your own hosting. Feel free to post wires, texture maps, etc and describe your entry. Post the word combination you used for your entry, too.

Only images posted in the final entry threads will be considered up for the final judging.

Thanks!

# 2 23-08-2006 , 11:55 AM
Subscriber
Alright, my first completed challenge:attn:

Okay well lets get to it.

Chosen Words: WIDE WAITING

First thing I thought of was a large woman standing in line at the DMV. However I could not get a good idea of how to approach setting up the shot. So this is where I ended up at.

Software: Maya 7.0.1 , Adobe Photoshop

Total Hours: Circa 60 Hours. user added image

Hi-Res Image can be found here:

https://www.papalati.com/Final_Render_Big.jpg

Attached Images

# 3 23-08-2006 , 11:57 AM
Subscriber
Final Render

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 24-08-2006 , 12:15 PM
well, mine is not nearly as good as i wanted, but hey, i might as well post it user added image

Modeled in maya and Zbrush
Rendered in Maxwell 1.0

my two words were "Other Tunnel"

Attached Thumbnails

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com

Last edited by Joopson; 25-08-2006 at 04:07 AM.

# 5 25-08-2006 , 01:41 AM
Subscriber
Hello Folks,

Here's my entry for the challenge. For those of you who haven't browsed my thread the words that I got were 'Poor Supply'.

I figured pretty quickly that the focus of my picture would be a water pump, the supply of water being very important for life. This led me to thinking about the setting, initially I thought of some third world country but I settled, in the end, on a bleak vision of the future where water had run out.

The 'Poor Supply' in my picture could be read as the supply of water being poor or the water being supplied to the poor in the trailer park.

Here's a LINK to a larger (2048x1536) render where the detail is easier to see

Just a quick thank you to everyone that has given crit and support while I was making this.

I used Maya 7.0 and Photoshop CS to make this image.

Cheers,

Mat

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by happymat27; 28-08-2006 at 01:23 PM.

# 6 03-09-2006 , 12:48 PM
Subscriber

# 7 05-09-2006 , 08:48 AM
Hello everyone,

This is my final image for this competition. My chosen words were "disciplinary dilemma". My first idea was to depict the little boy as a kid pirate, pillaging and demolishing a room. Well, it sounded like a good plan however it proved a daunting task to complete. The boy being short of stature, was very easily getting lost among the furniture and surrounding objects.

That is why I chose to develop my second idea, which was to show the boy smoking and drinking in his room. He became the focal point in the scene, sittting in the middle of the room. He's a fan of Stewie, the mischievous mastermind baby in the Family Guy, and clearly enjoys a few beers when relaxing.
Overall, the lighting was perhaps the greatest challenge in this scene. The shadows were being shown very harsh and black (maya's raytracing for some reason was comming out very dark, and I wanted a smoother, lighter and more transparent shadow.) In the end however, I'm satisfied with the result.

Thanks for all the help and crits along the way guys, I've thoroughly enjoyed this challenge.

Good luck to all !

https://actechcore.tripod.com/JAfinal2-640z.txt

Here is a higher res version, 1 meg jpg.

https://actechcore.tripod.com/HQFinal2k.txt

Last edited by vizion; 05-09-2006 at 08:54 AM.

# 8 05-09-2006 , 09:41 AM
Hello everyone -

Here's my challenge entry. My words were 'Odd Architecture'. Not much to say - I just wanted to try creating some sort of landscape with lots of stuff in it.

I used maya 7 and photoshop.

Thanks again to everyone on simply maya. user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by arran; 05-09-2006 at 04:41 PM.

# 9 05-09-2006 , 09:47 AM

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by arran; 05-09-2006 at 10:06 AM.

# 10 05-09-2006 , 01:41 PM
19 year Veteran
Well, here is my final ( Dual Shell ). Blast, I could not find a futuristic city pic! :angery: I mainly entered this pic to work on my composition skills. I'm very pleased with how it came out. user added image It may not have the character or texture work that some of the other fantastic entries have, but I think it can hold it's own.

Thanks for all nice comments on it!

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 05-09-2006 , 01:42 PM
19 year Veteran
a shot of the back.

Attached Thumbnails