Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 46 02-10-2003 , 09:57 AM
advantages? no... but on big buck productions, compositors want everything on its own layer alphaed, and if possible z ed anyways so... i guess it wasnt high on the priority of the "to fix" list

# 47 02-10-2003 , 12:38 PM
Umm...

The advantage with hardware particles is that they are (with proper hardware) way faster to render. I fell in love with the HW particles immediately when I learned about them. The whole dynamics system in Maya is just awesome imho.

And there are particle types built in maya which you CAN render in the software renderer.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 48 02-10-2003 , 01:27 PM

Originally posted by gazzamataz
Is there some advatage not being able render the particles within the render and having to compositing them outside of Maya?

Yes, The coders get to have extra time off user added image

# 49 03-10-2003 , 11:04 AM

no... but on big buck productions, compositors want everything on its own layer alphaed, and if possible z ed anyways so... i guess it wasnt high on the priority of the "to fix" list

But on big productions they can afford decent renderers (e.g. prMan) and dont resort to using the default maya one (Which sucks...... user added image sorry but it does!)

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 50 03-10-2003 , 03:32 PM
If this is true, this is looking worst that the microsoft windows releases at least MS waits for a longer time to release a new version.

If there are bugs in maya (and there's a couple) i think is better to patch it rather than release it as a new version...If they are putting together more new tools for the cost of the software im all for it...if not patch the current version...

That's my opinion for a guy that doesnt have thousands to waste.

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....
# 51 03-10-2003 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber
As far as I remember - a few months ago I was asked (as many of you) to fill a form about various possible "packaging" options for future Maya and, most of the options had some features which I will never use and none which were improvements of exisiting features - I think it will tae Alias more than six month to integrate them into maya and I think it will also end the "only 2 versions" purchasing option.

I wish they would implement some featrues I saw in 3D Max which are not built into Maya (noise, target weld, bevel and many more - most are modeling-wise)

BTW - to me , Maya is a good option , Architectural modeling would require me to get AutoCAD (4000 U$) and a decent renderer (500 U$) and a NURBS modeler (900 U$) which is almost 3 time of what Maya cost me.

Nir

Nir Sullam
Architectural Visualizations Page: www.orvatsel.com/index2.html
Maya Page: www.orvatsel.com/maya
www.nirsullam.com
# 52 03-10-2003 , 10:08 PM
Maya 5 just came out around what now 4 months? i think one of the only reasons they "might" be puttin 6 out would be some incredible New Brilliant somethin or other that might OWN ALL 3D Software , but really i think its so they have aproduct with there new official Name change? who knowns might not even be true, but hey whatever. + max 6 is already out

# 53 06-10-2003 , 12:24 AM
Picture this:.....you make a 3D software package accessible to the general public, who in turn learns the software through sites like this one.....some like it...some just join for the sake of joining something.

Now after all is said and done.....you learn all you can and go to school for maybe 2 years and pass with flying colors......alias picks you up and now has a seasoned animator with like 5-8 years experience already with only 2 years of school.

And don't tell me they don't know about piracy....damn......on some level I think they are going to profit from it.......because if you happen to enjoy animating and get really good at it...where do you think you are going to work.....

Alias makes alot of dough with film companies....therefore he who has the best animators has the best contracts.....and so the wheel turns......

I am all rambled out....LOL

# 54 06-10-2003 , 12:36 AM
Subscriber
So your saying that the charge too much for their product?

# 55 06-10-2003 , 12:45 AM
The Maya Mountain
it's actually one of the cheaper ones. It seems silly to me that people complain about the price so much when it was lowered not that long ago.

Face it, this is production software, not marketed for the at-home hobbyist. Those of us who have maxed our credit cards do so in the hopes our investment will be returned in that of a job eventually.

# 56 06-10-2003 , 12:56 AM
Subscriber
I think it’s the people that had bought Maya in the past have to pay for the upgrades to stay up to date with the software, not that it hasn’t come down in price but having to pay $500.00 bucks to keep up kind of sucks.user added image

# 57 13-10-2003 , 11:16 PM
is it possible to upgrade every other version?

...and that is how I saved the world.
# 58 13-10-2003 , 11:41 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by dockode
is it possible to upgrade every other version?

yes but you pay more

This is what I intend to do.

check the ALias site

Nir

Nir Sullam
Architectural Visualizations Page: www.orvatsel.com/index2.html
Maya Page: www.orvatsel.com/maya
www.nirsullam.com
# 59 13-10-2003 , 11:49 PM
well that price isn't too horrible... i guess i'd upgrade every other version unless it seems it will be cheaper and more worth it to upgrade right away.

...and that is how I saved the world.
# 60 12-11-2003 , 10:48 AM
Subscriber
I think Maya pricing should work like this:

1. "Maya Framework" would consist of the modeling, animation, and texturing/shading, and Maya rendering, components.

2. "Maya Components" - such as Fluids, Cloth, Particles, Mental Ray, and Fur - should then be sold as individual add-ons. Each component should have a price based on complexity, marketing etc.

3. "Maya Unlimited" would remain in the pricing strategy as a bundle containing framework plus all of the add-on components.

What would be the advantages of such an approach?

1. A|W would be able to redefine their research and development strategies as product releases could be managed to a higher resolution. A Framework upgrade would not be required for say a Fur Component upgrade. The result would be a more evolutionary and client reponsive product development cycle.

2. With a lower initial investment required for Maya Framework licenses, the user base would probably grow providing a good potential Maya Components market. My suspicion is that 6 months after a Maya Framework purchase, small independent users would purchase one or more of the Maya Components.

3. For users, being able to customise their Maya setup to their own requirements and budgets would be highly desirable.

The only disadvantage that I can see would be the management of multiple product releases and interdependency between the products. For example, I could forsee the following:

"Maya Fur Component version 4 (Requires Framework version 7)"

What do you think?

That'll do donkey... that'll do...