Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 03-08-2003 , 12:23 AM

Problem --> Texturing Nurbs Object ?

Hello friends !

I have some troubles with texturing my nurbs object.
Normally I select the nurbs surface I want to paint, --> than I use the Texturing-->3D Paint Tool. And I paint with the Artisan tool some colored arrows or pieces of surfaces to see more if I will open the texture in photoshop. Yeah, and in photoshop I create more layers, to paint my real textures, you know.

What I do in Maya:

1.surface:
I create the texture with the artisan tool, and I choose 512x512 pixel for it.

2nd. surface:
I do the same

Problem:
Of course the textures of the surfaces are not matching right, because the second surface is much bigger than the first one.

HOW CAN I GET THE REAL RESOLUTION OF THE SURFACES FOR THE TEXTURE WITHOUT CONVERTING INTO POLYS ?
AND HOW CAN I AVOID SUCH THINGS OR MAKE IT BETTER ?

here is the image to see my problem clear and detailed:

user added image

As you can see, there is a big texture problem.
it would be great if someone could help me,

thank you all for every little help,
bernhard

contact me via MSN: rieder@utanet.at
# 2 03-08-2003 , 01:17 AM
The Maya Mountain
You'll have to either adjust the isoparms where it's stretching or adjust your texture to compress in that area.

# 3 03-08-2003 , 02:25 PM

really don

Hello Mike !

Puhh, that sounds easy, but I really don´t know what you are talking about - I have not enough experience in texturing with nurbs.

The Isoparms are influencing the texture on the model ?
And how shoudl I adjust my texture , in maya or the graphic tool like photoshop ?

..... hmm, well sorry mike, .....or maybe there is some tut out there where I can learn more, but just right now, I have no clue how I can do that. user added image

thank you soo much for your help,
bernhard

# 4 03-08-2003 , 03:21 PM
The Maya Mountain
The UVs of a nurbs surface are attached to the CVs of the surface. Unlike polys, UV coordinates can not be moved away from relation tot he CV coordinates. If you have some areas of the model that have isoparms very close together and some with isoparms further apart, the ones that are further apart will stretch the texture out, compared to the ones that are closer together.

So, you would have to either adjust the Isoparms location, by moving Hulls around, or in PHotoshop, compress that section of the texture so it isn't stretching. Doing that, however, can affect the image quality of the texture.

# 5 03-08-2003 , 04:39 PM

isoparms with rebuild function ?

Okay Mike, well I think that I have understand you now.
Hmm, well, if I will rebuild all my surfaces (with the rebuild function) than all isoparm should bee the same I think, or ?

Hmm, well, I think that the compression of the texture in photoshop isn´t really easy to handle.

And anothter thing I don´t know:
Isn´t there a possibility to set manually the size of the texture image ?

What I can´t understand: Isn´t there any way, to get a rollover from the surface I want with the optimal size I need automaticly from Maya ?

I always think that there should be a possibility to get a kind of wirfeframe from the surface I want to texture - rolled out of a 2d quader paper, and that I can import this one into Photoshop ?

The only reason for that texture problem is, that I can´t attach some nurbs surfaces, because they are trimmed before. yeah, and well, I don´t really know what I can do now, or better: what I should do !!!!!

big mike, thx for your help - you are the best,
bernhard

user added image

# 6 03-08-2003 , 06:23 PM
The Maya Mountain
one word: polygons. lol user added image