Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 04-09-2011 , 05:35 PM

How to Render a 3D object without background

Hey Guys,

I Have a question about rendering a 3D object in Maya.

For Example I have a created a 3D text in Maya.
How do I render the 3D text without the black background in Maya so I can import the PNG/JPEG sequence into After Effects.

The problem I now have is that when I import the PNG/JPEG sequence into After Effects I get this black background. I don't want that background I only want the 3D object.

I can select the object to be in screen mode or whatever so you don't see the black background but my 3D text also becomes visible to the layers behind it.

Is there a way to solve this?

Greetings,

Rick

# 2 04-09-2011 , 06:02 PM
The thin red line
Dont use JPEG as it has no alpha channel use tagra, tiff or png. In aftereffect select only the first one of a sequence after effects will select the rest...........dave

# 3 06-09-2011 , 02:12 PM

Hey Guys,
....., I can select the object to be in screen mode or whatever so you don't see the black background but my 3D text also becomes visible to the layers behind it....,

I'm not too sure what this sentence means..., Do you mean the 3D text disappears in screen mode? Are you trying to replace the black background with something else and not the layers behind it?

If you want to have the 3D text but get rid of the black background (if that is the question) then you have to put a new solid layer behind the 3D text in screen or the best mode for your scene.

Hope that helps.