Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-04-2004 , 11:40 AM

Lambert...

Please help me- I cann not ungroup objects! When I change a properities of one of my object, all objects changes in the same time. I discover that all use the same lambert properites! How can ungroup it?

My first week with maya user added image

Thank you for any ideas.

# 2 21-04-2004 , 11:59 AM
Subscriber
This may be patronising to hear, but have you tried clicking "Edit > Ungroup" while the group is selected? That should work fine for what you have described.

If, however, you mean that you have 'combined' the objects into a single polygon object for example, then you could select it and click "Edit Polygons > Separate". Hope this helps.

# 3 21-04-2004 , 12:03 PM
if it is a problem of geometry
most probably you duplicated em with instance turned on. delete em and duplicate again, this time make sure instance is off

if it is only a shaders problem
just create more shaders and apply ech one to each geometry(use hypershader or multilister)

if it is truly a problem of groups
open the outliner open the group with the objects and move em outside of the group node

# 4 21-04-2004 , 03:30 PM
along the lines of dragonfx: to me it sounds that you just have to create different shaders and assign them to your objects. Just a reminder: lambert gets assigned to objects by default, so unless you create and assign different shaders, all your objects will have lambert.

A conscious power has drawn the plan of life...
# 5 22-04-2004 , 07:03 AM
My main problem is that I do not have *help file*! I walk thrue Maya like a totaly blindman. I use Maya4.0. I am sure that if I have *help file* all things should be easier to me. I just want to try 3D software- how it works, how to eat this... I swich from Adobe(photoshop, illustrator) and now all things changes! ("Can u imagine"... that CTRL+C, CTRL+V... do not work!)
Edit>ungroup wont help.

I think that Dragonfx understand my problem- I think that is shaders problem. When I create some 'primitives'- all have the same initialShadingGroup.

In Command feedback; Maya wrote: "Error: Can't rename a readonly node"

How can I turn off in duplicate copying the instances?...

Once again-thank you for any help.

# 6 22-04-2004 , 07:17 AM
Go to Edit>Duplicate>Options box and uncheck the "instance" node.