Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 136 29-05-2003 , 05:47 PM
Subscriber
well this is Divx 5.05, jus so yall know, if i'm not mistaken the quality seems a bit worse hmm.........

Anyway this is the clip where i die enjoy = )

Theres another half in "the news room" that we haven't filmed yet

-----EDIT---------hmm i'm having trouble getting it to upload----->

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 137 29-05-2003 , 05:54 PM
Subscriber
attempt #2

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
# 138 29-05-2003 , 05:56 PM
Subscriber
hmm its not posting anyone know why???

# 139 29-05-2003 , 05:56 PM
Subscriber
maybe the file is too big?

# 140 29-05-2003 , 06:16 PM

Okay, just so yall know, Eli is in the upper left looking funny, my little brother stevo is in the middle (left) and the kid who's making the documentary for them movie is in the lower right.

Sorry I really dont like this, I think that the font doesnt sit well in the composition. Unfortunatley I think the whole composition of the piece looks amatuerish and beginner level photoshop stuff (Sorry I know this sounds really harsh!! user added image) but I dont want to just say "Yeah looks great". I think with a bit more time and effort put into it it could look really cool.

I hope you dont take my comments the wrong way and I hope that they are helpful in making the work better user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 141 29-05-2003 , 06:24 PM
Subscriber
well it is a WIP, and i do appreciate the input. BTW Eli is making the poster = ) I offered but he took the liberty. Shoulda let the GFX guy do it! j/k man

anyway update on this shot(sorry about the half resolution on the live action layer, i apparently did that by mistake it will be fixed in the movie)

Attached Files
File Type: zip barn with kids.zip (645.0 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by Vectorman; 29-05-2003 at 06:38 PM.
# 142 29-05-2003 , 07:17 PM
Simply Maya OG
The shadow on the house, jumps up to the top, instead of making its way up it. As soon as it hits the house, it jumps up to the top of it. ...Or is it just my bad eye sight?

- Hybrid
# 143 29-05-2003 , 07:27 PM
Subscriber
i was attempting to make the shadow run up vertically like it would in real life, i know it don't look perfect, but its very had to do with animated masks

Thanx for the input tho, i just tweaked it a bit accordingliy.

Last edited by Vectorman; 29-05-2003 at 07:41 PM.
# 144 30-05-2003 , 01:26 AM
that's really cool, it makes me wanna see the house go boom!!! and the kids scatter

# 145 30-05-2003 , 02:07 AM
the clip is really cool, when the shadow hits the building it starts just right and then it jumps? did you change the settings half way thru? You could actually do this in post if you wanted to i think. How are you doing it at the moment? is there a proxy object in the scene and then you are just doing a shadow pass from there and comping them together?

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 146 30-05-2003 , 03:18 AM
Subscriber
no i use a multi layer LIVEACTION method:

Top layer is regular but with a color range (like color key) to take out the sky. Second layer has lower brightness and contrast (Shadow layer) and i do animated masks between them.

On the building i'm trying to get the shadow to climb vertically in the correct way, i did actually tweak it cause Brid pointed it out. i could post it.....

and JAGhUUN, that is the plan to blow it up = )

# 147 30-05-2003 , 06:52 PM
wow, thats looking good, shame about the shadows though, the mother ship is really convincing, if you could animate the lights on it....it would be of Spielberg standard user added image

# 148 30-05-2003 , 07:00 PM
Subscriber
hehe, well like is said TWICE, i tweaked the shadows so they look better. So don't worry bout that. The method is pretty cool tho.

Thanks for the Speilberg comment bro, maybe i'll learn animating textures for the next movie. THAT one will be amazing so stay tuned guys = )

Lemme lay it out for yas

This whole project is gonna be over on tuesday, and premiered on friday at Eli's (my old) school. Its a real shame tho, cause the guy who made that beautiful mothership texture (i made the light map!) has been outta touch. So we will have to bypass the Smaller ship texture. I really wanted to use it, but i haven't talked to him in a week and i have to render all this stuff! Its gonna be tight as it is, so its really a shame. Sorry greg i know you worked hard on that texture.

# 149 30-05-2003 , 10:12 PM
Subscriber
hardly working? Hardly, i'm working hard! hehe a mouth ful........

Attached Files
File Type: zip birdie_divx.zip (158.5 KB, 169 views)

# 150 31-05-2003 , 02:37 AM

about the poster. star wars style

heh about the photoshop comment, i do agree, it's a rough draft, it's the consept of a spoof of the "star wars movie" infact we were thinking about naming the movie "sars wars" and having the title say "star wars" then have the "t" turn into a snake and form a "s" at the end, the only problam, is that it's a terrible and stupid idea, almost as bad as thumbwars, which dont get me wrong is kinda funny, but stupid. and the only reson we would name it that would be to make the S move like a snake, which is kinda cool. anyway, i personaly agree about the poster, i would much rathe rmake a much cooler poster. but i just dont know if i have any time. if i can find time, i'll use it. user added image

Eli
You all amaze me.
"i'll try to keep my posted shoter next time"
hahaha, i really cant spell. heh.