Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 27-08-2005 , 08:40 PM
Subscriber

HELP! Extrude Faces is Acting Weird

I've been doing the Apache tutorial, and I'm nearly done with the second modelling tut., and I've run up against a major problem. I asked Kari about it, and he was stumped.

When I use the Extrude Faces function, it creates additional geometry at the intersection of faces. In fact, what it seems to do is create additional faces in all axises. I've reset the tool under Polygons and it still does it. I tried it on a simple sphere and it still does it. Really getting frustrated. Can someone help?

I've attached a screen print. Can someone please help. I really need to get up to speed on Maya for my job.

This is really frustrating, because I can't figure out what's wrong and I know it's probably something simple like a setting.

Thx.

Attached Images
# 2 27-08-2005 , 09:42 PM
Subscriber
I'm sure someone may be able to help you straight away, but I for one would like to see a bit of a closer view of the problem. Is there any chance you could zoom in a bit on a particular problem area then take a screenshot - maybe making it a bit larger than the one first posted?

# 3 27-08-2005 , 10:04 PM
It just looks like you need to check the KEEP FACES TOGETHER option ...

polygons>tool options>keep faces together

# 4 27-08-2005 , 10:26 PM
Subscriber

Keep faces together is selected

The keep faces together option is selected.

# 5 27-08-2005 , 10:56 PM
Subscriber

Screen video of anomaly

I can do you guys one better. I have a copy of Snag-It, which I use for teaching. Here is a video of what happens with the Apache. Verrry strange . . .

This never happens to me in Max, and I'm not sure what to make of it in Maya. I'm a newbie to Maya, so I'm just getting adjusted to the differences.

This is really frustrating. Thanks for your help.

BTW, I had to compress them, because it will only accept RAR. FYI, I virus checked them with the latest version of McAfee.

Attached Files
File Type: rar apache.rar (221.5 KB, 251 views)
# 6 28-08-2005 , 02:27 AM
Subscriber
I had a similar problem a few months back . I fixed it by , Reseting the settings on the extrude face option box.Go to Extrude faces optionbox>Edit>reset settings.

That works most of the time. When you said you reset the tool under polygons you mean you reset all the settings on the extrude faces?
Either way if stuff is still acting weird and you don't mind getting rid off a custom shelf box you might have. Just go into the" my documents" folder of your computer> The n "maya">Then the folder that has the version number you have 5, 6.0 6.5 whatever version you have>then go to the folder that says" prefs" and take the file that " user prefs" and delete it.

That will restore maya to it's default settings. Hope that helps if the reset extrude options doesn't work.

"It is Difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet"
-Miyamoto Musashi-

Last edited by ryuhayabusa13; 28-08-2005 at 02:30 AM.
# 7 28-08-2005 , 08:47 AM
Subscriber
WellI havent made the apache tut myself yet, but for this I thought I would try to recreate it.

Pic one
Shows roughly the same shape, just without the all important details.

Pic two
This shows a zoomed in view under xray of the column area. To create it i just extruded a couple of faces upwards. The top section (green) was my control and left as normal, while the bottom section (red) i purposly put in extra faces (circled) by extruding the red edge.

Pic three
This shows what happened when i Extruded the faces backwards as you tried to do. The top green section worked well and as expected, while the red section came up with the exact error you seem to be having.

So what Im trying to say is, have you looked in Xray at your model at a similar view as Pic 2, to make sure that you dont have any extra geometry / faces inside your model?

I hope some of this helps and solves your problem, if it does - Great! if it doesnt let us know so we can have another go at it!

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 28-08-2005 , 02:22 PM
Subscriber

Xray?

Thanks a bunch! I think that is my problem. When I started the tut, under Polygon tools, I had it set to create double-sided geometry. I think I'm just gonna blow it up and start from scratch. For future reference, where can I find x-ray. I'm an experienced Max modeller, but I'm new to Maya.

# 9 28-08-2005 , 02:35 PM
Subscriber
x-ray mode is right under the shading menu. shading menu is the one right above your main workspace with your grid (the little menus that say view,shading,lighting, show,panels) I forgot the appropriate term for it, but that's where it is.

"It is Difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet"
-Miyamoto Musashi-