Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 06-09-2004 , 12:23 PM
Subscriber

Simple animation, that needs some guidance

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just last night I started to mess around with Animation properly for the first time. But I think I may have some of my fundemetals wrong user added image. The secenario is this:

I really like doing things logiacally so this may seem alittle simplistic, but its how I learn best I suppose.

I have a small crane/mech arm, that has a base, and 3 other pivot points. Each pivot point has a skeleton joint, smooth binded to the skin around it. Each individual joint has been limeted in movment to the Mins and Max's that I want. I have a timeline of 1 - 100 frames.

My plan is to move all the joints, one by one, in the 100 frames. So, between frames 1 and 100, the base will move turning 360 (on the X axis). Between frames 1 and 20, the second joint will move from its Min to Max (on the Z axis). For frames 20-40, the third joint will move from its Min to Max (on the Z axis). For Frames 40-60 (on the Z axis), the last joint will move from its Max to Min. The final 60-100 Frames will be all the joints going back to thier normal position so that at frame 100, all the joints are back to where they were at Frames 0.

Setting the base to turn 360 was easy and works well. But when I select frame 20 and set the second joint to its Max, I find the joints location is then somehow copied to frame 1 of the animation! So that at frame 1, the second joint is already at its max, thus when I go to frame 20 there is no animation in between.

This applies to all, the joints. I find a frame I want the joint to be at its maximum, set its location, then find it copies that to all the other frames, making a very animation-less animation.

(Looking back, I hope all this is making sense!)

I think its maybe something to do with Auto KeyFrame? But i'm really not sure.

I can post screen if needed, but since its a animation problem, I'm finding it difficult to photo the problem properly.

I hope someone understands this and can give me a hand, If anything needs expanding or explaining, let me know!

Cheers
Az