Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 02-03-2007 , 01:46 PM

collapse a building

Hi everybody I am trying to collapse a building in Maya and have no clue what to do. I am not even shore how I should make the building. Thank you

# 2 03-03-2007 , 06:42 PM
There was a tutorial ages ago in 3D World magazine about making a bridge collapse. The dynamics involved ate my PC resources, but then it was only a P4 2000 at the time. I'm not sure whether I still have it, nor am I sure about the legalities of distributing it.

I will have a look for it (or at least the magazine issue), however, I suspect you would be best placed to search for tutorials on Soft/Rigid bodies. I've played with them a bit messing around with a Ten-Pin bowling scene. With yours you will need to create the active passive items, add gravity, then add a turbulence effects which would disrupt the items (bricks and what not) allowing for the building to collapse.

Regards,
IOSC033
# 3 03-03-2007 , 11:22 PM
oooooo ok thank you i kind of know about soft and ridged bodys but i didnt know it could go with turbulence thanks

# 4 04-03-2007 , 12:01 AM
Subscriber

# 5 04-03-2007 , 12:09 PM
Subscriber
yes model the building
u want to duplicate it like 2x so u have 3 copies
then create geometry (hires) use sclupt and push and pull verts to make multiple pieces that will come off
the usin that and ur dups
doo booleans intercept and difference
so now u have a whole house, a house with bits missing and the chunks that have the same thick ness as the walls
use shatter effect on the chunks

add gravity, newton and animate this to act when u want
use a radial field to 'blast' that section away or fall
animate visibilities of the pieces of geo

hope this helps

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973