Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 26-01-2003 , 04:30 PM
Subscriber

compositing a hand

hi u lot,

i have a model of a ring and i have some video footage of me acting as if a ring is moving in the air slowly towards me and i end up catching the ring but

the ring is 3d so for me to actually grab the ring i have to model my hand right..? and match move th3 3d hand to my hand

now here is my question how can i set up maya so i can track the 3d hand with my hand...!!

coz i was thinking if i just use a plane and try and track that, when i go to composite it all together the 3d hand could be out of proportion

i hope its not to confusing for u lot... if it is ill put up some images
of what i mean..

thanks in advance..

learner

# 2 26-01-2003 , 06:04 PM
Well, an easy, but slow way, would be for you to import your video into maya and map it to a plane, and turn ON hardware texturing in your viewports.

This process is called roto-mation:

Key the movement of your hand object frame, by frame, to match your 2d video plate.

Just one idea....

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 26-01-2003 , 06:58 PM
Subscriber
hay thanks izzy..

thats what i thought about doing ...

i just didnt know if there was a function in maya for this kind of thing but i will do that thanks..

but still if anyone knows there is anyway that could be easier then please let me know..

leaner

by the way izzy ..ur tutorials are very good and easy to understand
well done mate..user added image

# 4 26-01-2003 , 11:14 PM
Hey thanks man!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 5 27-01-2003 , 06:33 AM
Well, there's a much simpler way that might just not be as much work in the end: Put the hand footage in an image plane with a locked-off (meaning still, as in not moving) camera. Animate the ring, frame by frame, to look like it's in the right place. Then, in your favorite compositing package, create an animated matte that will cut out the part of the ring that your fingers would be in front of. Assemble the levels together and *voila.*

The only times you really NEED to track in a 3D stand-in for your hand are:

1) When you want to render 3D shadows cast by the ring on your hand (you can often get away with cheap 2D tricks in this regard but you'll need to do SOMETHING in this area to make the composite work.)

2) When you want to simulate dynamics that are affected by the shape of your hand, like moving it through smoke or having something travel along its surface.

3) When the animation is so complex that you really need to have accurate reference for where the body part is. Example: the spyders in Minority Report crawling on Tom Cruise's head required doing 3D roto (the term for matching 3D animated stand-in geometry to photographed objects like Tom's head) so that their contact points would be accurate AND for shadows.

-- Mark

Mark R. Wilkins
author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
www.melscripting.com
# 6 27-01-2003 , 03:41 PM
Thanks mark!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 7 27-01-2003 , 06:47 PM
Subscriber
oh im giving advice along with the great izzy and mark wilkins, what an honour user added image
u cud try using maya live or any other method (like the one rage mentioned first), then render the animation with an alpha channel, in a compositor, use the alpha to remove the 3d hand from the ring plate so your real hand shows through with the 3d ring

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com