Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 09-12-2005 , 12:39 PM
Subscriber

Attached Curves keep un-ataching themselves?

I created a closed loop cv curve by ataching 4 smaller cv curves together. I then did a Close Curves on it to make sure it was properly closed
The final 'master' curve looks perfect, and if I test it by duplicating and lofting between the two, it behaves neatly as expected.
I then deleted the original pieces AND the history, and projected the master on to a nurbs surface. But, when I come to select the resulting curve-on-surface, it is 4 seperate bits of curve, just like my originals!

When I looked at the master curve in the hypergraph, I found there were sub-curves still linked to it called curveOriginal1, curveOriginal2 etc. This baffles me as I deleted the curve pieces as well as the history on the master???

Anyway, I deleted those sub-curves and re-projected, but the problem persists.
I can not work with the curve-on-surface in pieces, as when I come to duplicate and loft, everything gets mangled inside-out. No amount of rebuilding or re-attaching the curves-on-surface fixes this.

Might there be a fix for this?
If not, does anyone know where I might have went wrong, to prevent it happening again?

Thanks.

(If anyone wants to look at it, you can DL BrokenCurve.ma from
https://www.ajrwarr.plus.com/maya/
(68k) )

# 2 13-12-2005 , 11:25 PM
I just tried to reconstruct your problem but it seems to not cause the same dilemma in my scene. I too projected a curve made out of 4 attached curves onto a nurbsplane. But even with history kept on, the curve projects itself in a closed state to the surface. Therefor I couldnĀ“t tell what the problem in your scene is. I also detached the surface into parts and attached the parts again. curve still projects itself closed..

# 3 14-12-2005 , 06:35 AM
Subscriber
ok tried out your file and i see the trouble you're having. Maya seems to be having some trouble with the tight group of CVs where the lower case "a" joins the "y." If you move the CVs around the project curve will work correctly.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 4 14-12-2005 , 03:26 PM
Subscriber
Many thanks, after I went through and carefully seperated the close groups of CVs it worked fine. I'd been creating straight segments of a curve by triple-clicking at hard corners, so maybe the 3 points were slightly back-to-front.