Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 21-04-2013 , 09:29 AM
Noober than noob

How can I make a rectangular fish tank in Maya?

The tank must act like the real thing: when filled with water, the part covered in water makes the glass sheets (all bar the ones you are looking through directly) and the water surface appear like mirrors. Obviously the side not covered in water will have all facets transparent no matter which facet you are looking from.
Does this have something to do with a prism? Or would adding a certain refraction value to the water object make the mirror effect possible?
This probably could have been easier if I didn't forget most of the physics lessons from high school... -.-
If someone has done this before or similar projects, can you tell me how, please?

# 2 22-04-2013 , 03:47 AM
Super Moderator
Some reference images would help. I was lost in the woods by the second line user added image

- Genny
# 3 22-04-2013 , 05:30 AM
The model of the tank itself is easy - assuming the standard rectangular tank. It's just a rectangular cube with a face at the top extruded inward to give thickness (typically 1/2 to 3/4 inch) and then extruded downward.

Then apply the appropriate acrylic material with the proper index of refraction.

Now the water is another matter and requires some use of particle systems either within maya or a third party application like realflow or SoUP.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 4 22-04-2013 , 09:41 AM
Noober than noob
Not exactly asking how to shape it. The refraction is the issue: when you look inside a tank that has water, the sides will reflect the content instead of being transparent.
I tried to use my tank for reference, but it's too long to catch all sides.

But the water surface and right facet are acting as a mirror, reflecting back 100%. The back is transparent because the camera is looking through the front facet. It's that effect I want to replicate. The reflection that happens only under water and not above water level, where all facets are transparent.
So if I'd put for example a cube inside the tank, and the cube has a different refraction level than the glass, will it cause the glass to appear like a mirror? But then even the water surface has to reflect back 100% while looking through the side facets of the tank.

Attached Images
# 5 22-04-2013 , 12:56 PM
Yes and as I mentioned above that is all going to depend on your material properties - primarily IoR and fresnel, then lighting, and the accuracy of the physics model within your rendering application.

What you need is a materials and fluid effects and lighting person to help with this.

If the materiel properties are set correctly on the acrylic and the water in the tank as well as the lighting the physics engine of the renderer should do the rest. Getting all the settings dialed in though, especially using MR, can be a bit of a black art.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 22-04-2013 at 01:06 PM.
# 6 22-04-2013 , 01:31 PM
Noober than noob

Yes and as I mentioned above that is all going to depend on your material properties - primarily IoR and fresnel, then lighting, and the accuracy of the physics model within your rendering application.

What you need is a materials and fluid effects and lighting person to help with this.

If the materiel properties are set correctly on the acrylic and the water in the tank as well as the lighting the physics engine of the renderer should do the rest. Getting all the settings dialed in though, especially using MR, can be a bit of a black art.

What if I make the water out of a cube (since it's supposed to be non-rippling water) and place it inside the tank, but set refractive index of the cube to be different from glass refractive index? I think I remember a refracting object once produced mirror-like reflection inside itself, but not sure if it works like this. So only one way to find out.

Well... so far, I've got the tank, and a refraction problem at the base.
Though I have used the refraction index for acrylic glass (1.490)...
user added image

Last edited by SilverFeather; 22-04-2013 at 02:07 PM.
# 7 22-04-2013 , 02:06 PM
ah my bad I thought you waned the water to be dynamic. Yes simply making the water as a solid block and setting it's IoR and Fresnel correctly should get you the correct physical behavior. You must of course do the same for the acrylic of the tank.

# 8 22-04-2013 , 02:13 PM
Noober than noob
A more accurate color render.

Aaaand the result is:
Yes, the cube can act as the water. But I need to set it properly to touch the glass while not going through it...
Lol @ the ball at the top going through the water surface...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 22-04-2013 at 02:35 PM.
# 9 22-04-2013 , 02:49 PM
Noober than noob
Now this is confusing...
Refraction isn't quite working like I've expected. The bottom glass sheet is showing the wall instead of being green.
The water is taking a dark color when it meets the glass.
And the tank corners cannot appear where the cube's corners are. It just cuts them off.

Uhh... I left the water running...
user added image

But anyway, is there any liquid simulation in maya that can be held in a container? This one's ridiculous...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 22-04-2013 at 03:04 PM.
# 10 22-04-2013 , 04:00 PM
Noober than noob
What do I have to research for fluids?
I cannot seem to get the hang of the container+emitter as it emits nothing... I think I am searching the wrong stuff on google too, as nothing seems to pop up when I search for creating water in maya, just fire used as fluid, which isn't what I am looking for...

# 11 22-04-2013 , 04:09 PM
The thin red line
Fake it, put mirrors on the side and back some light fog and a few god rays for good measure..............dave

# 12 22-04-2013 , 04:15 PM
Noober than noob

Fake it, put mirrors on the side and back some light fog and a few god rays for good measure..............dave

That's not going to work... refraction is a factor, then there would be the need to continuously change the mirrors around with the camera angle...
Someone on this forum posted a link to this: https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/dunca...ith_nparticles
The way the water sits in that first glass seems pretty close to what I want. Even if the water will not be moving, it would be much easier if I could just... pour the thing in a container and let it take the shape of it...
But where do I start? I am looking at nParticles... but not sure what I have to choose...

# 13 22-04-2013 , 04:29 PM
Noober than noob
Hmm, but what if I use boolean to cut edges of a mesh? Could that allow the mesh to take the shape that a liquid would have?
Edit: nah, that didn't work...

Last edited by SilverFeather; 22-04-2013 at 04:32 PM.
# 14 22-04-2013 , 05:12 PM
Noober than noob
Ok, so I've got this...
Now I need to figure out how to render them, as they cannot be rendered yet.

Attached Images
# 15 22-04-2013 , 05:21 PM
The thin red line