Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 02-01-2014 , 11:33 AM
Subscriber

Texturing interiors scene

Hi all,

I was following so many tutorials about 'modeling interiors' but I'm always missing the most important part in these tutorials: how to uv map or texturing such a scene. Now I'm wondering how the pros are doing it.

It is better to implement the texturing process in the workflow and texture every object right after have modeled it? Or do all the texturing stuff after the modeling job has ended?

It is really true, that every model in such a scene is unwrapped and textured through a texture editor snapshot? This would mean, having tons of texture maps at the end!

An example: modeling a kitchen or a bath room. Every tutorial I watched is explaing how to model it, but not how to texture it.

Any suggestions, tutorials or materials you can share?

Many thanks in advance for your tips and tricks.

# 2 02-01-2014 , 12:27 PM
SM Tea Boy
Hi,

Jason Edwards did a great UV mapping tutorial here https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...ut/?tut_id=309

I texture all my stuff after i have modeled it, I do a lot of interior scenes so i like to keep my objects as reusable assets. My workflow is create model UV it then create texture maps normally a diffuse map a bump / displacement map then if needed a spec map, translucency map...

If you have 10 objects in your scene expect to have lots of texture maps.

BTW if you want to buy that tutorial please wait the January sale will start today user added image

All the best
David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 02-01-2014 , 08:16 PM
Subscriber
Thank you David,

An additional question: what kind of resolution do you take as UV snapshot for the interior stuff? Depends on the size of the object? It is not better to works with a minimum of 2048 pixels? Is there a rule?

Many thanks in advance.

# 4 02-01-2014 , 08:25 PM
SM Tea Boy
Depends on the distance the object will be from the camera and the resolution your rendering at. If you're rendering an object that is very close to camera and you render resolution is 4k then you're going to need a texture that is at least 4k.

if your resolution is say a more common 2k and your object will fill half the scene space then you'll need at least a 1k texture. If it's a tiny object thats taking up 2% of the final render then you can get away with smaller.

The above is not gospel by any means simply an aid to help you visualise

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 03-01-2014 , 08:18 AM
Subscriber
Hi David,

Thank you so much for your support and answer!

I was asking while not everybody is modeling stuff for media press or advertisement movie but for any game which the player is walking near to the object.

In regards to the subject, interior scene, I always try to use textures 2-3 times bigger as the uv snapshot size.

Regarding Jason course you suggested: I appreciate the courses SM is offering, but having a look at the course content, it show me that what every course about UV mapping and texturing shows me: how to texture a character. I bought so many courses about interior design, and believe me, every course was the money worth in terms of modeling. But at the end, the course finished and the interior is still at this greyish color on Lambert1.

Is there really no course which is sharing how to handle textures on an interior scene?

# 6 03-01-2014 , 12:53 PM
SM Tea Boy
You can try this https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...=207&sub_cat=0

It covers lighting and texturing and some shading we start with a grey room and end up with this user added image

or if thats not your style i have a new interior video coming out this month but that one will deal with vray.

Best of luck
Dave