Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 46 28-12-2008 , 04:40 PM
huh, that must be the american version then, haha..
really though? hmm.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 47 03-01-2009 , 07:58 AM
yeah - i never really understood all the fuss about the word 'twat' - where i grew up it wasn't really seen as that offensive - i think most knew that it referred to female parts, but it was generally used to describe someone as a fool, so i definitely think it's regional. once you move to another country or area you soon start to realise that one man's jumper is another man's small girl's skirt. i remember reading armistaud maupin and getting to the line, '...she grabbed an inch of fanny fat.' yeah, that made me think twice.

obviously i think you should try to avoid words that you think might offend (and equally, you should try to ignore words that offend you). at the end of the day, it's just a word and you have to remember that nothing is set in stone - the meaning of words change over time and people often forget the original intent - like the words, 'queer' or 'handicapped'.

to be honest, being told that a word is off limits, just makes me want to use it more. **** knows i might have gone crazy if i couldn't call bush a silly c**t from time to time and i certainly don't have a problem with my wife calling me the same. it's all a matter of context / intent and knowing who you're talking to / with.

as for the question of whether people underate the skills needed to do 3d, i definitely think that that's not only true of 3d, but art in general.

i think people usually underate the skills needed to do anything that they can't do. if they figure you can draw, they tell you to take art in school and whip out a portrait of them on command and expect you to make them cards at xmas. yet if you ask them to do your taxes or fix your sink, whatever it is they're good at, suddenly you're the one being cheeky.

joopson is right - 85% of people (myself included) can't tell their arse from their elbow. i used to work in the metropolitan museum and the amount of times i would get people arguing with me that the monet in front of them is either a photograph / photocopy is not even funny. i once saw a fat guy jump on and start to ride cowboy style a 4000 year old egyptian tiger statue and when we pulled him off, he said: 'what's the problem? it's made of stone'!!

i know a lot of my friends who paint and make art seem to think that doing maya is something completely different - that the skills involved are not the same. i know some of my other friends think i'm crazy for doing maya instead of painting. hey - i could spend all day trying to convince them otherwise... or i could get a beer.

i mean, it's not rocket science, is it?

# 48 03-01-2009 , 09:27 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
Some of these people should get off their big fat elbows and try some of the things they think are so easy (sorry, i couldn't help myself, I was watching blackadder earlier today and it had the same joke in it)

The thing is i knew C**T could be considered very offensive but have never heard of anyone seeing T*** as particularly offensive

What is annoying though is who gets the credit. My brother was making a film for a competition at school and he wanted me to do an enormous amount of 3d (about 30 characters, moddeled, uv mapped, textured, rigged) and about 10min of animation, in about 3 months for it. Even if it was humanly possible i would have still refused because while i would have broken all laws of physics to do it on time come judging time i would probably get naf all credit while he would have spent about 10 hours max on it (more likely 5 hours) and have got all of it

I really dont know why im getting so worked up about it </rant>

# 49 03-01-2009 , 10:08 PM

Originally posted by arran
i once saw a fat guy jump on and start to ride cowboy style a 4000 year old egyptian tiger statue and when we pulled him off, he said: 'what's the problem? it's made of stone'!!

Is anyone else wondering why this guy visited the museum in the first place? user added image

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!