Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 25-05-2008 , 09:57 PM
Subscriber

Rhetoric_Camel_fx02_WIP

Well I decided to join this challenge, don't know how far I'm going to get and I don't even really know what the end is going to bring to this but none-the-less I have started, a very basic beginning. This is my first time ever using dynamics so far the only keying done to this is the camera (which also is a first for me).

I will be posting my progress on youtube so it's easy to view for everyone, this clip is about 14 seconds. Just basic shaders applied right now just so it's easier to see what is what.

of course c&c is welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssOrWSRRDUw

and good luck to everyone else in this challenge, and good luck to myself, I'm going to need it after seeing happymats creation, haha.

# 2 25-05-2008 , 11:23 PM
looks like a nice start rhetoric - happymatt better watch his back. user added image

# 3 26-05-2008 , 09:19 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
NOOoooooooo not more compotition

im wodering if i should do dominoes

# 4 26-05-2008 , 10:07 AM
nice to see you here Camel!

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 26-05-2008 , 11:38 AM
Subscriber
Good on ya for joining in rhetoric,

I'm looking forward to watching your porgress.

Good luck,

Mat user added image

# 6 26-05-2008 , 02:29 PM
Subscriber
nice start, looking forward to see it develop!

"You won't get anything done by planning" - Karl Pilkington
# 7 26-05-2008 , 03:54 PM
Subscriber
thanks a lot for the comments everyone... my next step that I'm working on is a concept from mouse trap with the teeter toter getting hit by the falling dominoes and then something on the other end flying up into the air hitting yet another object causing more things to happen, don't know if I'll have it made by the end of the night tonight but I'm going to do a little work to it tonight

oh and one quick question, I don't want to follow through with the same camera, how do I switch from the camera I'm using now to the next camera? Can I do that with playblast? Like I mentioned it's new to me so I don't know... I also haven't attempted it yet either, just figured I'd ask real quick.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 26-05-2008 at 04:03 PM.
# 8 26-05-2008 , 06:39 PM
Subscriber
alright I had a little set back, I went to edit a few things and something screwed up, couldn't tell you what it is but I had to recreate the domino's but I got it all working... I made each domino a little more detailed (just a few more poly's for smoothing purpose), and now when I simulate it takes FOREVER! Any way to reduce the amount of time it takes to simulate these dynamics or am I stuck with them loading forever. I keep simulating over and over after every little tweak to see what I'm doing and these simulation speeds are slowing me down a lot.

# 9 29-05-2008 , 03:55 PM
Subscriber
alright here is an update, sorry for the bad camera movements, I just wanted to do a quick camera animation. Still no keys (except camera, obviously)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJHuFA8KAtc

This still needs work and I'm probably going to change some things around.

Can I use realflow with this to?
I want to knock over a water bottle in the scene but was just wondering if I could use realflow to do it? But the problem with this is I don't even know how I'd do it. Any help with something like this that would be great, if now I'll have to see if I can figure it out. Any tips or suggestions would be great.

And if you can't tell I'm not going for super realistic here just learning. This competition is fun, been spending a lot of time reading and trial and error.

# 10 29-05-2008 , 05:29 PM
Lookin really good!!!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 11 29-05-2008 , 11:02 PM

Amazing

Great physics! especially with the dominoes.
try to smooth the round slide a bit...
Great work! Keep it up
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 12 30-05-2008 , 04:41 AM
Subscriber
I dunno if you plan to transition up the pole to the red ball like you are in your current video but if you used another camera and some quick edits you could get there without such strange overly quick movements in the first camera. Just an idea though, otherwise it's lookin pretty good dude.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 13 30-05-2008 , 05:43 AM
Subscriber
thanks for all the comments everyone, I appreciate it.
The camera work will be done more later on, this is just for a preview purpose, plus I don't really know how to work the cameras too much so it's still a learning process.

Thanks again everyone.

# 14 30-05-2008 , 11:08 AM
Subscriber
I've been having an issue with the cache, I can't seem to delete it and I've added new parts and it's not able to cache out these new parts objects I've created.

# 15 01-06-2008 , 09:06 AM
Subscriber
anyone know how I would be able to bring this into realflow for a small fluid simulation in an area? I have no idea how to go about doing this.

and any ideas on my cache problem?

Help with both of these would be greatly appreciated.