Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 16-11-2004 , 03:33 PM
Subscriber

Converting polys to subd

I am going crazy trying to figure out why i get so many 5 sided faces on the resulting subd when there are none on my poly model. Any idea how to avoid this? or fix this?

# 2 16-11-2004 , 03:40 PM
The Maya Mountain
Try to keep 3-sided and n-sided faces to a minimum on your original poly mesh. Also make sure all the vertices are all merged together properly.

# 3 18-11-2004 , 07:56 AM
Subscriber
I'm going crazy trying to convert also. I've changed my normals to face outside. I've merged every single vertices.... I even tried taking my pieces a part and doing it separately and but to no avail. Now my nurbs surface turned squarish....

I tried cleaning up polies.. and AGAIN!! it doesnt work. What other things do you have to check for?

# 4 18-11-2004 , 01:41 PM
The Maya Mountain
The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you have the number of polygons high enough in the convert settings.

# 5 19-11-2004 , 05:40 AM
I had a similar problem; it wouldn't let me convert either, said I needed to clean the polys, which I did, and it let me convert but it messed up a part of my geometry because it split some vertices. I merged them again and again and told me to clean polys every time, so I finally had to go back in, delete the area around the distortion and add a plane the fit it. Worked after that, and I have no idea why. Sometimes I wish I had my own personal Maya Pro, just waiting for me to ask for help lol.

"We don't actually need to know that the main character has a past. All we need to know is that he has an objective and a lot of people are going to die and a lot of innocent inanimate objects are going to be destroyed and blown up before he can complete that objective."