Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 01-07-2005 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber

CartoonDog...Poly Creation/Organizing Question

Can someone help me with a question? I did the cartoon dog model as the tutorial shows...even with a little of my own touches as far as appearance goes....but I seem to be missing the poly trick....that is to say...i can create a model looking just like the tutorials...or just like the image plane I may have up....but when it comes down to the smoothing...or subd modifying....my model loses it....

I guess my question is....when creating polygons and splitting polygons what is the general rule as far as shape/size/postioning? is the objective to create 4 sided polys all as straight in a row as possible on your model? Like building blocks? Apologies for the rather NEWB question.... I hope it makes sense.

eg of what I was experiencing...

Attached Images
# 2 06-07-2005 , 11:07 AM
Subscriber
Skeksi,
your model looks really "clean", and if your experiencing troubles with subdividing or smoothing maybe your smoothing settings are off a little ?
Yes if you could create all 4 sided poly's your smoothing would be perfect but its often very hard to make every face a 4 sided poly and especially with subd's the 3 sided polys seem to pull the skin a little but its hard to avoid.
I don't think your model is the problem(atleast what you've shown from the side)
maybe you could post your smoothpoly settings?
or a smooth pic so you can be more specific with your problems?

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 3 08-07-2005 , 03:48 PM
Subscriber
Ok...soon as I get home ill post my smooth settings.....when i go into smooth mode i get tearing.....not sure but i think i read that i need to run cleaning with normals set for correcting. Im trying to rig my cartoon dog too but I need more training on that.

# 4 08-07-2005 , 04:42 PM
Subscriber
yeah, it all looks good, the only thing i would look at is the point near his ass, something wrong there i think. post a pic of this 'tearing' that you get.

# 5 08-07-2005 , 10:49 PM
Subscriber
Here's my smoothing settings

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 08-07-2005 , 10:50 PM
Subscriber
Here's the tearing.....and I forgot...i get the tearing when i go subd....not with smoothing....when i smooth i dont notice a difference in my model other than a lot more poly's

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 10-07-2005 , 12:16 PM
Subscriber
oh, that occurs because the vertex on the model arn't merged
-------
go to the unsmoothed version of the model:
what you need to do is click on 1 of those points once and move it, you'll find two vertex on the same point.
Next you have to click the point you moved and hold down v to snap it to the point you didnt move.
Finally just click edit polygons-->merge vertices
hope that fixes it

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 8 10-07-2005 , 12:45 PM
Subscriber
Excellant... user added image Thank you !