Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 24-10-2005 , 01:21 PM
Subscriber

help wiv graphics card

i am in the process of buildng my new PC to run maya and other apps like photoshop on. i have searched the site about graphics cards an there are a few contadictions. it will be running with an AMD 64-bit processor. which graphics card is best for me - i only have a few hundred £200-300 max to spend on it. i have read and some ppl say that nvidia are good others say there are problems. so which is best the Quadro or FireGL. also i notced that it said there were no probs with the quadro (on the maya site) but they seem to have lower memory(128mb instead of 256mb) is it woth a comprimise or .....
what should i do advice is appricheated.

many thanks

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 2 24-10-2005 , 05:32 PM

Re: help wiv graphics card

Originally posted by pbman
i am in the process of buildng my new PC to run maya and other apps like photoshop on. i have searched the site about graphics cards an there are a few contadictions. it will be running with an AMD 64-bit processor. which graphics card is best for me - i only have a few hundred £200-300 max to spend on it. i have read and some ppl say that nvidia are good others say there are problems. so which is best the Quadro or FireGL. also i notced that it said there were no probs with the quadro (on the maya site) but they seem to have lower memory(128mb instead of 256mb) is it woth a comprimise or .....
what should i do advice is appricheated.

many thanks

I'm running a 7800 GTX and so far Maya seems ok. Officially Maya dosn't support any of the GeForce cards. The nVidia Quadros have the support but for the improvements you get over the diffrence in price, a lot of people say it isn't worth it.

The Quadros, i believe have lower memory because they run diffrently. The GeForce is more of a gaming card and runs diffrently to the Quadro, which is designed for a workstation and production work. Stick a Quadro in an expensive gaming system and you'll probably find it wont run as fast as cheaper GeForce card would.

I'd check out CG Talk and there is quite a lot of discussion on the GeForce/Quadro subject.

https://forums.cgsociety.org/search.php?searchid=2562609

Edit: I had another look at CG Talk to get a little more info.

Apparently the Quadro is pretty similar to the GeForce with only the drivers being the biggest difference. Quadro drivers are specialized for apps like Maya. GeForce drivers are no. So apart from the drivers the cards are very similar, if not the same.

I also read that the Quadro equivalent to the 7800 GTX is QuadroFX 1300, itself based on a top end GeForce 5900 - so technically the cards themselves are two generations apart.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 24-10-2005 at 05:44 PM.
# 3 24-10-2005 , 09:31 PM
Actually... no... the 7800GTX equivalent is somewhere over the Quadro 4500 I believe... my 5700 Ultra is an 1100.

The 7800GTX is locked down heavily from being softmodded... but before that all GeForce cards with the addition of RivaTuner could be changed into their Quadro counterparts...

The ONLY difference is the drivers (and a couple of sodders, which when coupled by the new VideoBIOS which tell the drivers whether or not to lock down "professional functions"... though people have overrode the VideoBios and sodders using nVStrap... like I did.)