Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 18-07-2006 , 12:02 PM
Subscriber
Hello again,

This morning I made the maps for Ripley and Brett. I'm finding it pretty difficult to make good representations of the characters when they all have big square heads!!

Cheers for any thoughts,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 32 18-07-2006 , 12:15 PM
Looking cool man, what about a slightly different body shape for rippley? (just scale in the waist a little maybe) just to give the difference between the male and the female.

I bet it is quite hard to get the different characters in there.

Whats the spec of your new PC?? Cmon share the details (as i'm in the market for one too!)

Cheers

# 33 18-07-2006 , 01:18 PM
Subscriber
Cheers gster,

I nipped in the waist a touch and adjusted the UV map accordingly, I think you're right about differentiating between the male and female cube people, thanks.

My new computer is probably a little overkill for what I need at the moment but it should definately see me through university and a little further hopefully. It has an Asus main board with a Quadro FX 540 graphics card, 2Gb RAM, an Opteron 165 processor and a 250Gb hard drive.
Initaially I got a very good price from a shop to build it for me but after looking around I found I could buy the same parts and build it myself for substantially less.

Thoughts would be good, cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 34 18-07-2006 , 01:19 PM
Subscriber
wow looking really good ..yeah the waist makes a big difference ... i like how this is coming out good job ...

# 35 18-07-2006 , 03:11 PM
Subscriber
Thanks mmoore,

I've got dallas textured now. Once again not the greatest likeness but I hope you all get the idea. I'm going to get Kane done next then do a bit of work on the lights.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 36 18-07-2006 , 05:19 PM
Nice one Matt, that looks really cool, I think the little nip in the waist does bring out the feminine shape and makes her stand out.

Yeah I know what you mean about a new PC, i'm in the market for a laptop, as I really need the protability for my Phd. so I was thinking of one of the AMD 62 x 2's you an get, but i'm not too sure about the actual portabiltiy of it, oh well, lots to think about.

Are you going to have the alien as a cube alien type thing??

# 37 18-07-2006 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber
Here's another update,

Kane's done. I've decided to leave Ash and Lambert out of the scene now as I'm too lazy to do their maps!! I quite like the angle that I've got in this render which would leave them out anyway.

To answer your question gster, yes I'm going to put a little cube alien in the chest cavity of Kane. It's the last thing on my to do list. Before that I've got the blood to do and I'm going to play with the lighting.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 38 18-07-2006 , 06:51 PM
HAHA, I love it...

# 39 19-07-2006 , 03:08 PM
Subscriber
Hello all,

I've been messing around with the lights, I'm not sure if I like what I've got but it'll do for now!! I also put a little blood in the scene, gonna mess with the lights a little more I think.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 40 19-07-2006 , 03:12 PM
Subscriber
BRAVO.... very nice. .i like the blood effect ...this project has turned out really well ..cant wait to see finish product

# 41 20-07-2006 , 11:44 AM
Subscriber
Cheers mmoore.

This is the last render I'm going to do for this project, I'm not really sure if it's finished but I want to get on and do something fresh. I'll probably come back to the cube people at some point but I feel that, because my computer was broken for so long, I've been working with them for longer than I actually have.

Thanks for your thoughts and enthusiasm while I've been doing this one,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 42 20-07-2006 , 12:27 PM
Nice finish Mat...I understand that sometimes doing the same thing over and over can get boring...

# 43 26-07-2006 , 05:07 AM
Subscriber
looks great mate, what was the final render time on this. ;;how did you get the snap to make the textures. (for examlpe, the head.) i still have trouble with that .
user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 44 26-07-2006 , 11:54 AM
Subscriber
The render time was not that long as it's a very simple scene, a couple of minutes tops. There's only a couple of lights, no bump mapping and the geometry is pretty basic.

mirek, I'm afraid that I'm not really too sure about what you mean by getting the snap to make the textures, I've attached the UV and texture map for one of the characters, hopefully it will illustrate enough. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 45 26-07-2006 , 06:16 PM
this is really cool, reminds me of those little kubricks film figures. About ripley looking more feminine, without sounding pervy, how about some cubic breasts?

Are you planning on doing a large alien as well, obviously not for this scene, but i'm curious as to how that would come out