Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 03-07-2006 , 04:29 AM

Polygons to Subdivisions

Hi all, Im modeling an automobile with Maya 7.0 and have run into a problem. When I try to convert polygons to subdivisions I encounter an error. The script editor suggests that I use the Cleanup command because of non-manifold surfaces. I have tried that and the surface fo the car becomes a series of wierd circular subdivisions where the subdivisions are not atached. I also tried merging all or the vertices. Any suggestions how to effectively convert from polygons to subDs while maintaining the seams between the subdivisions.

# 2 03-07-2006 , 12:28 PM
Senior Software Developer
Sounds to me you have non Planer geometry.

This can be caused by bad face extrusions or making a mistake on duplications. I would run Polygon->Cleanup [Options] ensure you have the non-manifold option checked and apply it. This will check the model and show you any issues.

Also you could check the normals to ensure they are all OK too. I had a lot of these issues when I first started with Maya and it was always things like having 2 faces occupying the same space etc...

Hope this helps.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)