Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 91 18-08-2006 , 04:25 PM
Subscriber
Having had a few days off from this I took a look at it and decided that it needed a bit more work.

The caravans were looking way to clean so they've been messed up a bit. The image shows a before and after of the near caravan. There are quite a few other bits that need to be sorted so I'll keep you posted as and when I sort them.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 92 18-08-2006 , 06:57 PM
Nice, that wasnt even something I noticed, but it looks a lot more trailer park now...haha...

# 93 18-08-2006 , 10:12 PM
Subscriber
Cheers esion,

here's some more adjustments for today. The second caravan has had a layer of muck applied, I also put a slab under its step. The ball is now deflated and I adjusted the specularity and diffuse on it's shader so that it's not so shiny. The tricycle, even with one wheel off, still didnt look broken enough so I used a bend deformer to buckle the front wheel and I had a play with the specularity on it's red shader as I felt that the highlights were too much.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 94 18-08-2006 , 11:03 PM
Nice subtle details matt, really brings is out.

Hte only thing I could crit is that the dirt on the caravan looks like its a noise texture and kind of look lokes splodges of dirt rarther than "streked" dirt that you would get (i.e from rain etc) plus I think that hte skeleton hand looks a tad to bright

On a personal note I would have the hand closer to the pump looking more like, say the skeleton hands from pirates of hte caribbean with some rotted flesh and cloth still attached. thats just me though

Damm fine work, shame I couldent push mine to the level you have (waitin on my new Pc),

Good going man

# 95 19-08-2006 , 12:26 AM
Well mat, my one crit with it is the fact that there is a huge barren wasteland of nothingness all the way to the buildings in the background. It just looks like it needs something, whether that is more trailers, or cactii, or bushes, or some hills or mounds of mud, just something to break up the smooth plane to the buildings...

# 96 19-08-2006 , 04:36 AM
well done mat. I really like this a lot. The adjustements that you have made to the tricycle and ball are really working well. I have to admit the skeleton hand still bothers me. I just see it as walking down the stairs every time I look at it. also, I think the tree is just a little too close to the edge of the left trailer.

But really, I think you may have a winner here mate! user added image

# 97 19-08-2006 , 01:54 PM
Subscriber
Great crits there, cheers everyone.

I've done my best to accomodate the simpler points. The caravans are now streaky rather than noisy They have an asphalt texture to their rooves too. The bone shader has been altered so that it's no longer too bright. The tree's been moved to the left so that it's not peeping round the side of the far caravan, I also had to nudge the cityscape to the left slightly as the edge of one of the towers was doing the same.

I originally had the hand closer to the pump, I may have a little more of a tinker with it's position but because I only made the hand and the forearm my choices of placing it are limited.

The wasteland.... You're dead right, that's a big open space. I'll have a shot at breaking that up a touch, I've got a couple of ideas brewing for that.

You've probably noticed that the sky's changed a touch. I used the render clouds filter option and a few other layers in photoshop along with the alpha of the maya render to get that. I'll be playing with it a bit more before I'm properly happy with it I think.

And to think, I thought I had finished, what a mug!!

Have you ordered your new computer then gster, laptop or desktop?

Thanks again and anymore crit will be well recieved,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 98 19-08-2006 , 06:24 PM
Wow - big improvement mat - the new sky has made a world of difference to your scene. Well done mate! This is looking excellent!

# 99 19-08-2006 , 07:13 PM
I think the DOF looks perfect right now...

Here is something that would be ultra cool...try making a spider web somewhere on the pump...

# 100 20-08-2006 , 09:24 AM
Subscriber
In a bid for 'ultra coolness', how's this esion?

You can't see it in this image but the lizard looks really hungry for the spider, cheers for the idea esion.

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 101 20-08-2006 , 12:55 PM
hey mat, awesome work man, everything looks great. The spider web looks good as well, however, I'm not sure it will be seen that much, especially if it's underneath the pump. Perhaps a different, more exposed location (like between the handle and the pump's cylinder) would suit it better.

Cheers user added image

# 102 20-08-2006 , 04:34 PM
Nice one matt. Looking great.

Gone for a laptop by the way, its a nice bit of kit if I do sayso myself!

# 103 20-08-2006 , 04:39 PM
HAHA...okay that is cool, but how about some more...or like vizion said, make one from the spout to the side, or maybe the handle to the side...

# 104 20-08-2006 , 07:25 PM
Subscriber
Hey Mat,

Looking good, but I thought I would submit a couple of thoughts.

I did a before and after for ya. It is rough okay.user added image

Alright, where some of your highlights are is wrong bc the source of light that you have is conflicting with it. Your shadows are proof of this. The sun is coming from the upper left however you must have a light above us to the left as well based on your shadows and highlights so watch that.

Also for example, based on the cast from the sun, the tree should be casting a shadow but see it isnt. user added image

You have a very dreadful, in a good way, scene. It is a scene of desperation, so you must show how barren it is. Rich, deep shadows will help you with this.

My sketch of shadows is just stuff to study. The arrows are the direction of the light source. The squigglies are shadow spots.

Your shadows will help give it a richer feel as well. Because I think its a little flat right now.

Also the DoF is off, I understand that you want to show specific points of interest one being the handle and the other the hand at the door. That is quite the focal distance. However the way it is right now doesnt look right to (me). It kinda looks pasted in there.

These are my crits, and Im sticking to them.

Good luck and I look forward to see where you go from here.user added image :p

Attached Thumbnails
# 105 20-08-2006 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber
Nice words folks, thanks.

Scott, man what a time to give such input! I'm going away tomorrow and won't have access to Maya again until the challenge is over!! I have placed all the lights in the scene in accordance with where the sun is placed on the HDRI that I used for the sky (above and left). I think that the effect behind the tree is due to a break in the cloud layer that I created in photoshop. Hopefully I'll have time in the morning to remedy that but I'm afraid that there is no chance of long shadows.

I've got no time to do any modelling so more spider webs are out of the question I'm afraid, great idea though, let's imagine that this spider has just moved in!!

Cheers for all the support and feedback that you've all given throughout this challenge, much appreciated.

Good luck everyone!!

Mat user added image

edit:

No time for alterations, too much stuff to sort out. See you all in the final entry thread.

Cheers again,

Mat.

Last edited by happymat27; 21-08-2006 at 04:29 AM.