Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 26-01-2007 , 04:04 AM
Subscriber

ak 47

eh, figured i'd post this

not near finished, none of the pieces are merged together yet, just combined and duplicated for a test view to see how it's coming together

the Butt stock will be detachable, .. can also model newer butt stocks to add on, etc

lots more to do .. gonna work on some suicide car bomb looking vehicles next i think or a Dragunov , maybe a M107 Long Range Sniper Rifle would be cool

dave_baer wrote:

***EDIT***

Image has been removed for the following reason:

Oversized

Please read this STICKY thread.

Thank you.

# 2 26-01-2007 , 04:49 AM
Subscriber
Heh heh, nice one Wheels.

I seem to remember this from the other day, mm coming along quite nicely. I've got some super slow-motion of one of the babies firing if ya want it for animating. It's slowed down to something like 1 round every 1 or 2 seconds, you know that 1/10,000 of a second kinda stuff that has no sound.

Pssst! - you should crop and resize your images (640x480) so the cookie monster doesn't make 'em dissapear. user added image

S.

# 3 26-01-2007 , 05:01 AM
Subscriber
user added image

just curious

you know when your gonna model a car, and you start off with the images planes and the 1 cube

for high quality models, what would be the suggested lines along height/width for starting out

assuming 15 height, 5 width is not enough

# 4 26-01-2007 , 05:15 AM
Subscriber
Bit hard for me to say, I learnt the first time to do em in nurbs, so I never have any cubes there, although, I imagine it would be a lot easier if you had less to start with and then added them in as you went with the CutFacesTool.

That way, when you add a cut in between two points, you don't have to move the verts as far. So in that way of modelling, you'd just use a normal cube to start with. You put one edge along the centerline of the roof and the other edge along the edge of the roof. On edge at the front of the bonnet and the opposite at the rear of the boot. You could just make a cut inbetween, lift it up or drop it down a little then keep making cuts as needed to get the model rounded enough.

I saw a 300ZX tutorial for max that approached it that way. It seemed a hell of a lot more efficient than me tring to layout CV curves and work out how to snap the ends to the _exact_ same spot - okay perhaps I was a little overzealous, being my first week with the software and all. :blush:

But hey, it's not my fault - Kurt's tutes are so good that was the kind of confidence they inspire. user added image

S.

# 5 26-01-2007 , 06:46 AM
If I model a car, I usualy go for a poly cube removing faces etc to meet the body panel thne use the split poly too and go from there.

So in a nutshell I model each body panel sepperatley.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 28-01-2007 , 09:17 PM
WH33LS

Please check your email!!!

enhzflep: he appears to have an authority issue. user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 7 28-01-2007 , 11:14 PM
Subscriber
never seen the first warning user added imageuser added image

# 8 29-01-2007 , 06:52 AM
Thanks man, I would have hated to do it to ya. :hug:

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 9 29-01-2007 , 02:07 PM
Subscriber
an newer image, still needs work

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 29-01-2007 , 02:33 PM
Subscriber
WH33LS:
Looks good mate, gunna look great with some textures on it.
The only, teeny thing I can see that is drawn to my attention are the shoulder stock and the front piece of wood, whatever it's called. Commonly, these bits of wood on the Kalishnikovs are rounded on the horizontal edges and don't have the 'hard corners' look to them. Still, it's a real nice model though.
Here's a pic: Small AK47 pic

dave_baer said:
he appears to have an authority issue. user added image

Not that I'd know anything about that.....:tries to suppress embarrassing and painfull memory: :blush:

# 11 30-01-2007 , 12:13 AM
Looks a little "puffy". Need some hard edges in there somewhere. user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 12 30-01-2007 , 09:02 AM
Subscriber
what parts you think look puffy ¿

# 13 31-01-2007 , 02:40 PM
The metal parts. The edges look too soft.

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu