Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 07-07-2007 , 01:01 AM

newbie nurbs problem...please help

Hi, this is my 2nd day using maya :-)

The other day I played with nurbs. I created a sphere (64 by 63) and did several deformations. Suddenly I managed to do my manipulations on one side of the sphere and exactly the same thing happened on the other side. For example, I pulled a few selected points out and they got pulled out on the other side as well.

Now, I want to do that again, but simply can't redo it. I've been searching for a long time, but I guess this problem is too simple to be found :-)

Hope, you can help me...

thanks.

# 2 07-07-2007 , 01:25 AM
if your new to maya, then I imagine this happened because you selected the vertices in one of the orthographic views and therefore selected them on both sides of the model.

try selecting some vertices in your side view by drawing a box around them and you will see that you select them on both sides.

The same thing could also happen if you create an instance duplicate of half of your model (under the duplicate options), though you would probably know if you did that.

user added image

# 3 07-07-2007 , 02:38 AM
Thanks. Thing is, I'm pretty sure, I did not select anything on the other side, because I'd remember that. Of course I might be wrong :-)

I remember selecting some points on one side and then all of a sudden I had an object like a plane, because i pulled "wings" out of it.

Hope, I can redo this :-)

# 4 07-07-2007 , 03:19 AM
did you select the vertices by picking them one at a time? if not, and you did a marquee select, then maya will select the vertices on both sides of the object - i might be wrong, but i think this is what happened.

# 5 07-07-2007 , 09:59 AM
I'm pretty sure, that I selected them at once, but only on one side. So, I might have done that marquee thing. I'll try to find that out. What I liked so much about what I did, was the fact, that I moved parts in a symmetric way (like wings of a plane) and not into the same direction, as it normally happens.

Thanks for helping.