Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 24-07-2008 , 01:54 AM

Im building houses, Please help me

Hello all my fellow Maya family,
I am about to start my major work for the year, and i would like some advice on the following..

1- What scale should i model my houses (cm's, inches, etc)?

2- If there is a scene inside the house, would it be advised to have the room as a seperate project?

3- Is it simply a matter if manipulating a poly Square or is there more important measures?

I have attached a pic of the houses i wish to replicate..

Thankyou for helping
Thick

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-07-2008 , 02:17 AM
Senior Software Developer
My advise would be to start out with creating nice simple cube shapes and getting the angles, sizes and shapes in place first.

Lock off the camera and use the perspective and orthographic views to model with, render out with the secondary lock off camera.

Approaching the modelling can be done in lots of different ways and every artist could apporach it differently. For me tho I would start off with the standard cubes and start refining from there or model the horizontal planks or you could attempt it with displacement mapping...

The easiest approach would, for me, would be to model and use the poly cubes placed at the start to get the correct angle and position for the camera. Opportunity for lots of duplication. So good luck and I am sure it will turn out well...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 24-07-2008 , 02:47 AM
Thankyou for your help,
So as far as scaling it, would i just stick to cm's or try and match dimensions to real life, e.g. door frame equals 1.8 metres?

# 4 24-07-2008 , 04:34 AM
Lifetime Member
It would be helpful to choose a scale that you are comfortable with but it doesn't have to be full scale it can be a ratio of say 1 tenth , if you know certain measurements i.e a door is 1.8 meters then working in 1/10th scale it would be easy to make a door 0.18 units high.
As long as you set your working units so you can easily work with your grid or fractions of a unit to be able to acurately model to scale you will be ok.
Maya also have a measurement tool but that could get a little tedious if you had to check every single measurment.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 24-07-2008 at 04:38 AM.